Fermintation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleScout

Reaction score
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to fermenting mead and cyser at lower temps? I was planning to ferment at 68-70 F but it's been so cold it's been hard to even get them to 68. The basement is so cold right now the heater runs more than the refrigerator to keep my beer fridge at 48.

Cold is OK once fermentation has started. Yeast like to start at 68-70 but once the lag phase has ended you can drop temp down. I'll start a batch in the kitchen and bring it down to the basement after the lag phase (12 hrs or so). Otherwise if I pitch at the cooler temps the ferment sometimes takes 2-3 days to get rolling. Depends on the yeast though.

I used Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead yeast, Wyeast says it likes 60-75 F and I started it before it got so cold so it was closer to 70 when I started. It being so cold right now just got me wondering if it would make much of a difference since I've almost always kept meads around 70.

I have a 3 gallon traditional and I'm using D47, temp is 65 and it's fermenting fine as it's in the middle of the temp tolerance of the strain.
I also have a small 1 gal blueberry blossom going in the same room and using ec1118 and it's going all fine as well.
75 would make the 1118 go faster but I'm in no rush but 65 is great for the D47.

Just try and stay within the tolerance of the strain used and things will go just fine.

I have found mid to low end of the posted range for the yeast works best for me. IMO Throws less off flavors. (Might be specific to Cotes Des Blanc.) However, as Maylar suggested a little warmer at the start is definately my preference. I do this by starting my yeast prior to pitch 24 to 48 hours at 68 - 70 then drop it to 62 to 64 at pitch. Takes a little longer but much better for a 15 ABV Mead.

Since I have the "luxury" of a relatively small utility room that I use for fermenting, I just heat the entire space to a specific temperature controlled by an Inkbird with the probe in a gallon of water. That way I know the temperature is liquid based and not air based. I tend to either do 65 or 66 on the Inkbird. The active ferment will bump that up internally a few degrees, so I am usually fermenting in the high 60's I would guess.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to fermenting mead and cyser at lower temps? I was planning to ferment at 68-70 F but it's been so cold it's been hard to even get them to 68. The basement is so cold right now the heater runs more than the refrigerator to keep my beer fridge at 48.

Depends on the yeast, some strains do better warmer/colder than others. Keep your temps within the recommended range & you should be good to go. Remember, active fermentation produces heat, actual must temp could be as much as 10* F higher than what those stick-on thermometers read.
Regards, GF.

Back