Fermentor idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isa363

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a 20 gallon aquarium tank and add an airtight sealing to the lid. Also, drill a couple holes for an airlock, spigot, and maybe thermometer.

I was thinking it would be a cool idea but I don't know if it would work. Plus I can find tanks for cheap. Let me know what you think. :confused:

isa363 said:
I was thinking about buying a 20 gallon aquarium tank and add an airtight sealing to the lid. Also, drill a couple holes for an airlock, spigot, and maybe thermometer.

I was thinking it would be a cool idea but I don't know if it would work. Plus I can find tanks for cheap. Let me know what you think. :confused:

It would be cool to get hop pellets in a round TetraMin can so you could sprinkle them in while singing "it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

:D

Quite an epic first post. I have to ask... Why?

I have a small area for brewing and I figured using glass tanks would use less space and hold more. Plus, I can find 20 gallon tanks for like 20 bucks, even 40 gallon ones.
I figured it could be a cool idea.

I like the idea. If you build it I'd like to hear how it went. I was thinking about getting into 10-15 gallon batches but the price of a conical fermentor has deterred me.

Yeah, conical's and large plastic containers are way over priced. If I make it, i'll definitely post it.

You'd have to keep it covered or in the dark, but that's also true of a carboy.

Have you considered multiple 5- or 7-gallon buckets? You'd get the same capacity for just a little more price, and a lot less trouble.

You'd get the same capacity but it'd take up more space. The room I have for brewing is really small. Having a lot of buckets just seems like a pain in the ass lol

Most glass tanks I have seen a caulked with silicon to seal. Most silicon selant I see in my kitchen has some sort of mold that starts growing on it no matter how much you clean it.

You'd get the same capacity but it'd take up more space. The room I have for brewing is really small. Having a lot of buckets just seems like a pain in the ass lol

If you use blow off tubes and then drill the hole for it in the side of the buccket (right at the top) then you could stack you fermenters, probably 4 high in a standard single story house gives you 20 gallons in an area that would be less tahn one fish tank :D

Depends on how old the silicone is, most silicones now days are impregnated with anti fugal agents to prevent mold growth.

If you use blow off tubes and then drill the hole for it in the side of the buccket (right at the top) then you could stack you fermenters, probably 4 high in a standard single story house gives you 20 gallons in an area that would be less tahn one fish tank :D

+1 Pails are stackable, plus you get the benefit of being able to experiment using different yeasts/dry hops/etc and also making different beers concurrently. Also, pails won't break. Though, I have to admit, having a fish tank full of fermenting beer would look pretty freakin sweet.

"Common knowledge" is that a fermenter with sharp edges doesn't allow for full fermentation turnover. Some areas of the fermenter will see lots of yeast activity while the corners will be dead zones that lead to increased yeast by-products in the finished beer.

I have no idea if it's true but IIRC New Belgium had to adjust some recipes when they switched from traditional square fermenters to modern ones. Whatever you decide to do, post pics.

I would be leery of any small tanks. The glass used on these tanks is really thin. If you get a clogged airlock in one, it would maybe break before the airlock blows out. They are designed to hold water not pressure. And they don't do a good job of holding water if you mess with them a lot. The corners are simply held together with only silicone, and once you start peeling that back, it's over.

I would ask around for used food barrels in the 20gal size.

Definitely post pics if you make it!

i think it would be a cleaning and sanitizing nightmare. The edges of the silicon will curl in time, small voids will open and bacteria could get trapped in there that the sanitizer doesn't reach. In trying to clean it you are likely to damage the silicon seal and end up with a leak.

Also, most tropical fish live in an environment with a ph of mid 6 and higher (even up to 8). A fermenter works with liquids that are mid-4's to mid-5's. This is more acid than the fish tanks designers expect them to be. You might check to make sure there are not any glass coatings that would be affected or if the silicon can take a more acidic environment before saving the few pennies between this and ale pails.

I know space is at a premium, so why not put up a shelved rack that will give enough room to put multiple fermenters into the same floor space? I know it won't be as impressive as a fish tank of swimming yeasty-beasties, but I find with most of my friends the simple fact that I can make beer impresses them plenty.

I say try it and see what happens! Just don't use a tank that's already been setup with fish. And for crying out loud take some pictures! Maybe throw some sanitzed plastic fish in there? It would look so cool!

mannye said:
I say try it and see what happens! Just don't use a tank that's already been setup with fish. And for crying out loud take some pictures! Maybe throw some sanitzed plastic fish in there? It would look so cool!

"dude...WTF is with yer fish!"

I can see the mail man contacting the ASPCA

I have had fish and no way would I use one of my old tanks due to the sanitation and clean up. Bucket foot print not much larger and much easier.

"Common knowledge" is that a fermenter with sharp edges doesn't allow for full fermentation turnover. Some areas of the fermenter will see lots of yeast activity while the corners will be dead zones that lead to increased yeast by-products in the finished beer.

I have no idea if it's true but IIRC New Belgium had to adjust some recipes when they switched from traditional square fermenters to modern ones. Whatever you decide to do, post pics.

Recirculation pump?

Horrible idea really... How do you suggest keeping good sanitation? The silicon seal will become disgusting very fast and full of molds... You'd have to remove it all the time and reseal... That's not as quick as removing/cleaning silicon gaskets used for weldless kits...

Sounds like a complete and utter PITA...

Surely one the worst creative idea I've read about in here for a while.... sorry ;-)

Horrible idea really... How do you suggest keeping good sanitation? The silicon seal will become disgusting very fast and full of molds... You'd have to remove it all the time and reseal... That's not as quick as removing/cleaning silicon gaskets used for weldless kits...

Sounds like a complete and utter PITA...

Surely one the worst creative idea I've read about in here for a while.... sorry ;-)

what a dick... JK :p haha

Most glass tanks I have seen a caulked with silicon to seal. Most silicon selant I see in my kitchen has some sort of mold that starts growing on it no matter how much you clean it.

^ This...

I have an actual fish tank, been a fish keeper since 1994. You'll never be able to sanitize it good enough with it being sealed with silicone on a glass tank, of course there are plexiglass type tanks now that have no seals, you could try that, but don't mess with a glass one, or your gonna be screwed..

I use an HDPE container I got off ebay for $30 shipped, it's 14 gallons and has an airtight lid. You can also get them with handles off ebay for slightly more. Both of these have open heads for easy cleaning. It's not expensive at all, in fact, ale pails routinely sell for $15, so for twice the price, twice the capacity, still cheaper than glass or a conical.

Back