Fermentis Safbrew LA-01 Recipe Testing - Low Alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Are you going to join that site? It looks pretty new, not a lot of members.
Not sure. I have it bookmarked to look closer at the articles and the forum posts. I am not sure if brewing one or two batches with the LA-01 yeast will be the end of my venture into Low/NA brewing or the start! For the past 2 years I have been devoting 1 of the 3 spots in my beer fridge to a keg of carbonated water. If I can make something enjoyable, maybe I an rotate NA beer into that spot!

RossHB

Reaction score
Hey Luke, I'd be interested in getting hold of some LA-01 - looking to try the raw NEIPA from the Ultra-Low brewing site above. Cant seem to PM you with details etc.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Luke, I'd be interested in getting hold of some LA-01 - looking to try the raw NEIPA from the Ultra-Low brewing site above. Cant seem to PM you with details etc.
I am planning to make a 5-gallon batch, heavily influenced by that raw NEIPA recipe, this evening. The 172F mash temp scares me a bit, but I think I will mash in the 165F range. I am not 100% sure what to expect, but I have a grist of 2-Row, Oats and CaraFoam with a target OG of 1.022. I figure I can make this in my 5-gallon kettle on my stove and just top up the fermenter with water. I boiled the top up water this morning just to make sure it is sanitized.

I am using a hop schedule very similar to my last NEIPA that worked out well...Centennial, Citra and Mosaic in a whirlpool and Citra and Mosaic as a dry hop. I generally figure that it is hard to make a bad beer with Citra and Mosaic!

I am a little confused about pH adjustments. When and how much to add. I only have 10% Phosphoric, but I could get some stronger acid.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got about 5.25 gallons into the fermenter at around 1.023. It is definitely not as sweet as a normal wort! I will document the recipe more as I see how it turns out. Hops were 2 oz Centennial + 1 oz Citra + 1 oz Mosaic for a 20 min steep at 180F. Dry hops will be 1.5 oz Citra + 1.5 oz Mosaic. With a 30 minute mash and no boil it still took about 3 hours from start to finish (with some cleaning left).

Wow...I just noticed the ferm temps on the Fermentis site are pretty wide: 10-25°C (50-77°F)! I have mine set at 66F.

IMG_3558.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Cool_Hand_Luke

Cool_Hand_Luke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
RossHB,
I can send some your way. You are a new member so I think there is a bit of a lag before you can start PM’s. I’ll see if I can start one with you.

Welcome to HBT!

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long has it taken for LA-01 to complete fermentation? The Fermentis webinar states 75 hours for final gravity at 20C. I have been around 19C / 66F. I bumped it up to 70F this morning.

I had a pretty decent krausen going from around 24 hours to 48 hours (I was gone for some of that time). The krausen has fallen back and activity is very light now at ~84 hours from yeast pitch. I took a gravity sample and taste last night. The 1.019 gravity seems crazy high, but that would put the beer at 0.53% ABV and 17% apparent attenuation, which is right on target. The sample tasted much better than I expected with lots of hop character and a background beer character that felt more like a 5%-ish beer.

RossHB

Reaction score
Quick question for now (I'm sure I'll have more) - did you pitch the yeast directly onto the wort or do a rehydration?

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question for now (I'm sure I'll have more) - did you pitch the yeast directly onto the wort or do a rehydration?
I tend to direct pitch dry yeast and I direct pitched this time as well. LA-01 has the E2U label: Easy To Use

"When it comes to yeast, E2U™ certification means you can choose to pitch directly into the wort, or proceed to rehydration. It makes no difference, it’s up to you. We guarantee the same results."

I watched a Fermentis webinar where they showed data that their yeast performed better when "rehydrated" in wort than in water.

OP
Cool_Hand_Luke

Cool_Hand_Luke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long has it taken for LA-01 to complete fermentation? The Fermentis webinar states 75 hours for final gravity at 20C. I have been around 19C / 66F. I bumped it up to 70F this morning.

I had a pretty decent krausen going from around 24 hours to 48 hours (I was gone for some of that time). The krausen has fallen back and activity is very light now at ~84 hours from yeast pitch. I took a gravity sample and taste last night. The 1.019 gravity seems crazy high, but that would put the beer at 0.53% ABV and 17% apparent attenuation, which is right on target. The sample tasted much better than I expected with lots of hop character and a background beer character that felt more like a 5%-ish beer.
The one batch I’ve done so far was done in about that time. I think I let it sit for a week though just do to life constraints.

I was also surprised by the amount of yeast character it produced with so little fermentation.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kegged my beer today. It is a bit early to call success or failure, but I also had attenuation issues and ended up with ~1.3% ABV and 43% attenuation.

After the picture above where the beer was a 1.023, I started noticing signs of fermentation (bubbles and CO2 production). I took another reading and it had dropped only 1 point to 1.022. I started seeing more bubbles and more CO2 production. I debated if I should just let it go for another week or to move forward and dry hop and keg. So I dry hopped for 2 days, cold crashed for 1 day and kegged it today.

There is astringency from the hops that I expect will clear over the next week. It does have some nice hop character. The base beer is a bit thin with a slight phenolic note. I am not sure if the extra attenuation came from some holdover brewers yeast, or from something wild. I feel like my sanitization game is pretty solid, but maybe a batch like this is a good test.

Even if the beer flops, I used up some hops from my freezer and should have a pretty beer to post pictures on Instagram!

IMG_3581.JPG

OP
Cool_Hand_Luke

Cool_Hand_Luke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’m nearing the end of the keg on my first batch. Decided to degas some and take a gravity measurement. It was down to 1.020 from 1.024 when I kegged it and bulk pasteurized the keg. That puts it at 0.9% ABV. Still tastes good and pretty low ABV still but no longer meeting the legal requirement of NA.

One thing I didn’t do was sanitize the serving line, interior of ball lock connector, or the tap. Keg has been kept cold. I think this is a reasonable example of how critical keeping other yeast exposure away from these beers. Still plenty of maltose waiting there for some lucky yeast.

8FE6335F-C104-45B4-8163-2DF7624DDB97.jpeg