Fermentis 34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I have been planning to use this in a Dort and a pils. I have read that there is some residual sweetness left by this yeast vs the liquid strains. I was going to pitch 23 grams per 6 gallons and ferment at 49-50 raising to 55 after fermentation has slowed.....guessing day 10ish.

I want a malty beer but not a sweet beer. I am willing to change the recipe within reason but must maintain style.

If I dropped my mash temp from a single infusion at 150 to a stepped 145 for 30 mins and 148-150 till conversion, would this leave the beer as malty or close but reduce the sweetness?

Or is a decoction the only way to get the beer dry enough while maintaining the malt presence?

If there is a better dry yeast choice that has the same flavor profile but attenuated better let me know also....however, I want no fruitiness. I can easily control fermenting temps but I have a hard time getting fresh liquid yeast.

I don't know where you heard that 34/70 leaves residual sweetness, but it's not been my experience. In fact it's been a little too dry for my tastes. But it's appropriate for the styles your listing. My AA's have been between 77% and 82%. Also, it's definitely clean - I don't detect any fruitiness.

Mash temp will have an effect on attenuation, but not necessarily perceived residual sweetness. If you want to ensure full attenuation, I'd say aerate well and pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast - for W34/70 that means fresh and appropriately re-hydrated.

I don't know where you heard that 34/70 leaves residual sweetness, but it's not been my experience. In fact it's been a little too dry for my tastes. But it's appropriate for the styles your listing. My AA's have been between 77% and 82%. Also, it's definitely clean - I don't detect any fruitiness.

Mash temp will have an effect on attenuation, but not necessarily perceived residual sweetness. If you want to ensure full attenuation, I'd say aerate well and pitch an appropriate amount of healthy yeast - for W34/70 that means fresh and appropriately re-hydrated.

Thanks. I will use mr malty. Does one rehydrate dry lager yeast the same temps as dry ale yeast? Also how long and at what mash temps are you getting in the 80 attenuation area?

I think Fermentis has yeast-specific re-hydration temps listed in their datasheets - best to follow those.

My mashes have actually been relatively high when I've used this yeast. 152 to 154F. They're all single infusion, 60 min. I would advise you use a mash schedule corresponding to the body appropriate to the style. Again, don't assume that FG and attenuation directly predict sweetness. Mashing at higher temps causes increased dextrins which are less fermentable, but not very sweet.

+1 to everything hex said. I get very similar results with W34/70 and havent experienced any residual sweetness with it either. great yeast.

fyi, I'm generally starting my d-rest around day 4-6 with it fermenting at 48-50F

I haven't had any residual sweetness either with 34/70. Pils finished at 1.011, Okto at 1.010, and a Maibock at 1.012. All were between 5 and 7%, so just about perfect IMO. Worked fast at 49 and had no diacetyl after at 48 hour rest in the low 60s at the end of fermentation.

2 packets on the pils, then harvested yeast for the other two brews.

Back