Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbird33

Reaction score
Brewed a ale on Sunday last week fermenting started Tuesday and as of today the airlock is still bubbling. Can I transfer to secondary tomorrow so I can brew a second beer or hold off and let it sit in primary and do 1 stage fermenting on both ales? Trying to have them done for a party at the end of October.

I would let that finish in primary until you start to see the beer clearing. The yeast cleanup at the end of fermentation is just as critical as the fermentation itself.

This one is in a 5 gallon bucket. Will it be okay to start the other in the carboy and just do both in primary stages then go straight to bottling?

This one is in a 5 gallon bucket. Will it be okay to start the other in the carboy and just do both in primary stages then go straight to bottling?

Yes, that will work just fine. Just plan on using a blow-off arrangement with the carboy. There is no need to use a secondary with either brew.

I would suggest buying another bucket or two! I can guarantee you are going to run into this problem alot with only 1 bucket and 1 secondary, assuming you like to brew more than once every few weeks.

You may or may not need a blow off tube for your carboy, depending on the type of beer your are brewing and how much headroom you intend on leaving. I do agree with the above..leave your 1st beer in the bucket to complete fermentation, and start your 2nd in the carboy. Cheers!

You may or may not need a blow off tube for your carboy, depending on the type of beer your are brewing and how much headroom you intend on leaving. I do agree with the above..leave your 1st beer in the bucket to complete fermentation, and start your 2nd in the carboy. Cheers!

Apple Ale

Why the blow-off arrangement?

Most of the buckets sold with a new brew kit are around 6.5 gallons and the carboys are 5 gallons in size. For a 5 gallon batch, there is plenty of head room in the bucket, but your carboy will have minimal headroom with a full 5 gallons, so a blow off is necessary to avoid a mess. I almost always use a blow off tube (even with a 6 gallon carboy), and would also recommend one. If you are only brewing 3-4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, you will be fine.

Enough Head Space?

1411389684220.jpg

Back