Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfoneill

Reaction score
So I brewed a Coopers Mexican Cerveza last week and the directions said it will be ready to bottle in 6 days. Here it is day 7 and the air lock is still bubbling. I added a package of Brew Enhancer 2 to the batch as per the instructions does that have anything to do with it still fermenting. I have it in my basement which ranges in temp from 68-70 degrees.:confused::confused::confused:

Take a gravity reading. Wait a couple days. Take another gravity reading. If the SG doesn't change, then fermentation is complete.

The bubbling in your airlock is not necessarily an indication of fermentation. It could be a result of residual pressure in your fermenter.

The only way to know for sure what's going on with your beer is to take a hydrometer reading. Steady gravity over a period of 3 or so days means that the beer is done fermenting and you can bottle. Kit instructions are notoriously bad - good as a guideline, but not as a rule. The beer will be done when it is done - not on a printed schedule.

If you don't have a hydrometer, I'd wait another few days to a week just to give it a little more time. There are lots of opinions on how long to leave beer in the fermentor, so I'll let you explore that topic on your own. My advice - get a hydrometer and start taking readings. The bubbles are fun to watch, but they don't indicate finished fermentation.

And good luck, your beer will be great!

Yeah a steady sg reading over the next few day well help to let you know if it is ready for second fermenting stage.

It's only been 1 week,& ime Cooper's don't finish out that fast. I always wait till the end of 2nd week to take an FG sample to see where it's at. You get used to it after a while & can tell how close a brew is to done. Then judge how long it needs to be finished.
So give it another week & check it. When FG is stable,give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty then bottle.

Back