Fermenting Under Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of fermentation could you use the extra pressure in the fermenter to purge the keg - say 12 psi to a few psi?

Yes, depending how far the fermentation is right now.

On my last brew I had purged my serving keg with co2 from the fermenter and brought it by this to the same pressure making the transfer easier

OK - I asked this question because I was fermenting for about two weeks and gravity looked good. When I went to keg it I thought I'd purge the keg with the CO2 in the fermenter.

After I did this there was quite a head on the beer. Don't recall seeing this before depressurizing the fermenter. Could releasing the pressure cause foaming of the beer?

Yup, Lowering the pressure in the headspace will cause. CO2 to come out of solution until it reaches equilibrium.

For real fun, depressurize it, open and throw in a crap ton of nucleation sites in the form of pelletized pulverized hops.

Also known as, "Hey, I can paint the ceiling with beer!"

For real fun, depressurize it, open and throw in a crap ton of nucleation sites in the form of pelletized pulverized hops.

Also known as, "Hey, I can paint the ceiling with beer!"
🤣 I was smart and did my first try outside ... For the fun of the neighborhood 😜

Back