Fermenting under pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Tried fermenting my 1st beer under pressure it was a citra IPA

It had a few days at 1st where the spunding valve got stuck and it was over 15psi but then i dropped it down under 15, between 10-13?

And it seemed the IPA was alot more bitter for citra hops? Anyone think this may be from the pressure fermentation?

Also I just brewed a beer and put some pressure on it around 6-8psi and am woundering if I should leave it at pressure or just go with a normal fermentation

Tried fermenting my 1st beer under pressure it was a citra IPA

It had a few days at 1st where the spunding valve got stuck and it was over 15psi but then i dropped it down under 15, between 10-13?

And it seemed the IPA was alot more bitter for citra hops? Anyone think this may be from the pressure fermentation?

Also I just brewed a beer and put some pressure on it around 6-8psi and am woundering if I should leave it at pressure or just go with a normal fermentation
What was your aa for this batch of citra. I’ve gotten citra before that was almost 14%, so it def could give you a firm bitterness based on amount used and schedule.

15 psi isn’t considered high for fermentating under pressure. Scott Janish did his research at 20 psi. Here’s a link to it btw http://scottjanish.com/fermenting-dry-hopping-pressure/

What was your aa for this batch of citra. I’ve gotten citra before that was almost 14%, so it def could give you a firm bitterness based on amount used and schedule.

15 psi isn’t considered high for fermentating under pressure. Scott Janish did his research at 20 psi. Here’s a link to it btw http://scottjanish.com/fermenting-dry-hopping-pressure/

I'm not sure I got it from a friend, I brewed a wheat beer, and put it under pressure last night and today about exactly 24 hours the spunding was all the way past 15psi, the fermenter I have can only hold 30 so I'm hoping the blow off is set before that, now do you think it sitting possibly over 20psi for 24 hours would produce any off flavors?

I'm not sure I got it from a friend, I brewed a wheat beer, and put it under pressure last night and today about exactly 24 hours the spunding was all the way past 15psi, the fermenter I have can only hold 30 so I'm hoping the blow off is set before that, now do you think it sitting possibly over 20psi for 24 hours would produce any off flavors?
Well based on Janish’s research it should actually limit any yeast ester based off flavors. It should also limit any off flavors due to oxidation. That’s all I am able to comment on.

Also whatever psi you set your spundibg valve at should maintain that pressure. If it builds more than that it should be releasing that co2

Back