Fermenting too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan850

Reaction score
Hello. I'm making my first batch of wine. I'm using apple cider from a local orchard. I'm concerned about it fermenting too fast. I started with a PA of 12%. It's been 3 days and the SG is already 1.010. Is this bad? Should I start secondary fermentation?

I have a cold house so I'm using a belt heater. I'm concerned it is fermenting too warm. Actually I'm positive it is. I took another temperature reading and it's 83!!

Is this batch ruined?

Anyone have better luck with belt heaters?

That's a really fast, hot ferment and it's almost done. If you don't have a hot alcohol taste already, then don't worry. Bear in mind, that high an ABV needs months of aging.

i had the same thing, but with Welch's concord concentrate, was a 1.085-1.090 at first, now after 3 days 1.020-1.025, temps at first day was at 62, freaking heater died the same day i made it, lol second day got it working, and temps were at 72, saw it once at 82, mid day, old lady (27) got cold...(did not want to get in trouble, lol) went a head a did my first racking into two one gallon jugs/carboys airlocked and place in a dark place....

i heard the red wine should be in the 70-80 for fermentation, so i should be ok, just though it would be longer than 3 days.....

moving on to the aplfelwein next..... headed to the LHBS today to pick up another airlock
thx

Back