Fermenting too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggae

Reaction score
inspired by the other thread floating around here...is it bad to ferment a beer too cold? won't it just take longer? my basement is about 50 degrees right now and i am brewing two beers a week. should i expect these beers to taste badly?

thanks
:mug:

Well two things come to mind. The first is yeast strains are rated at a certain temperature spread. If you go too low, they go dormant and too high they have trouble as well (and way too high and they all die...but this is much higher than any fermentation attempts I have ever heard of). So that is the first hurdle. Now, you can push them usually with no ill effects outside of the 'acceptable' temperature range but must be willing to accept what that means in terms of the finished product. At lower temperatures you will suppress the formation of fruity esters, resulting in the 'cleaner' lager like taste. Keep in mind yeast activity generates a substantial amount of heat from friction which can will actually raise the temperature of your wort. So your 50 degree ambient air is most likely lower than your actively fermenting wort, albeit this might not be much especially if you are stressing an Ale yeast down to where it is not comfortable. Although I have yet to hear of off flavors as a result of this. (You do hear of it with warmer-than-optimal-ferment temps though). In general you want a clean, fairly fast primary fermentation with Ales but I don't think the too cold will hurt it all that much...but it will take longer.

Fwiw, I pushed a pack of Safale 33 down below the rated range (quite a bit actually). The result was that I thought I had missed it and in a panic (before checking the gravity...doh!) I repitched another pack. I was really freaked when that seemed to just sit there. Well as it turns out, from the moment I started panicking it was probably 65% attenuated. The yeast had done its job just fine. I did however get a very low ester Ale.

roggae said:
inspired by the other thread floating around here...is it bad to ferment a beer too cold? won't it just take longer? my basement is about 50 degrees right now and i am brewing two beers a week. should i expect these beers to taste badly?

thanks
:mug:

Are you using lager or ale yeast?

thank yo uvery much. i have found that my fermentation took about three days longer, but not bad. i'm sure the beer will be fine. thanks again.

About the only thing I might add, very slow ferments can give the nasties too much time to grow. A relatively quick start to the ferment will get the alcohol level up and the nutrient level down before problems start.

With good sanitation, even this isn't too likely.

i thought about that. i might just leave it up on the main floor. it is -9 right now. will it hurt it to bring up the temp like 8-10 degrees?

roggae said:
i thought about that. i might just leave it up on the main floor. it is -9 right now. will it hurt it to bring up the temp like 8-10 degrees?

It should be fine, but don't move it again if you do. Yeast are pretty darn adaptable but that adaptation (and all the effects associated with it) is what you want to minimize. The thermodynamics are such that even when you do move that fermenting wort into the 8 to 10 degree higher temperature, it will take plenty of time for a full 5 gallons to actually reach that temperature and given that you are probably through the majority of primary fermentation already it should be ok.

Although, if it is fermenting properly, I'd just leave it be. In fact if it is just a little slow, try to find a smaller step of temperature for it rather than a full 10 degree jump. That's what I'd do anyways :cross:

I have the same situation as you, ~50 degrees in the basement. I decided to do an Anchor Steam clone with Wyeast California Lager yeast. Good plan, right? Wrong. Imagine my suprise when I got a stuck sparge. Its listed temp range is 58 to 68. It is now happily perking in my 64 degree hot-box.

Back