Quantcast

fermenting temp

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ahammock

Reaction score
I have started home brewing and we keep our house at about 62 degrees. Since I am supposed to ferment at 68 to 70 any tips to keep it at this temp with out bumping the entire house temp? If i don't will it not ferment correctly?

McKBrew

Reaction score
What type of beers are you making? A temperature of 62 degrees is actually pretty good and unless you are making a beer where warmer fermenting temps are desired (saison, some hefeweizens, etc...) you want those cooler temps. Beer also ferments warmer than ambient temperature anyway. I'd be stoked if I could keep my house at 62 all the time. Trust me, your temp is fine.

Welcome to HBT.

OP
A

ahammock

Reaction score
I am brewing a chocolate Imperial Russian stout. All of the reading I have done says that the temp needs to be higher than that so I was worried that the yeast might die.

McKBrew

Reaction score
You'll be fine. The best way to ensure proper fermentation temps is to look at the yeast you are using, all yeasts list a temperature range or should. If not it can be found online. Some of the older texts recommend the higher temps, but low to mid 60's are better in most cases.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
I needed to boost my fermentation temperature a couple of degrees so I put a heating pad (on low) around the bucket for 3~4 hours every 4 ~ 8 hours... the fermentation added some degrees to the equation and I ended up at 70 ~ 72 degrees during the primary for my Belgian Tripel....