Fermenting temp to high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindhop

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch today. Everything went well. Brought the wort temp below 75 via a wort chiller. Transferred to Carboy and tossed my yeast. I but the fermentor in its place and started to clean up. I checked the temp on the remaining wort and it read above 80. Is this going to kill my yeast? If it dies can I add more yeast to save this batch?

Nah they won't die at that temp but it will produce alcoholy off flavors. Need to work on temp control!

Got many ideas in my head after reading the different posts. Thanks for the help.

I'd get your carboy or bucket into a bucket of water and throw some ice in to keep the temps down. What yeast did you use?

You will be fine. It might create some off flavors, but more than likely you won't notice especially since it's your first batch.

There was no sign of fermenting as of yesterday afternoon. I re aerated and added some more yeast. The next morning it was bubbling away. As all of you know this being my first batch this was a very excited moment. I took pictures and videos and annoyed my wife talking about it. One of the coolest things I have ever done. Thanks for the help.

There was no sign of fermenting as of yesterday afternoon. I re aerated and added some more yeast. The next morning it was bubbling away. As all of you know this being my first batch this was a very excited moment. I took pictures and videos and annoyed my wife talking about it. One of the coolest things I have ever done. Thanks for the help.

You definitely do NOT want to aerate once fermentation has begun or has completed. You probably just oxyegnated the hell out of your beer. How did you re-aerate it?

And by no signs of fermentation I'm assuming your referring to airlock activity, right?? Airlock activity is NOT an indicator of fermentation, or lack there of. A hydrometer reading is the only way to truly tell if your beer is done fermenting. My last batch (Fat Tire clone) bubbled for only three days. I still didn't take a hydro reading until the 2 week mark. My current batch (American Brown) is still bubbling 5 days later. And I'll do the same hydro reading at 2 weeks to see where things are at.

You definitely do NOT want to aerate once fermentation has begun or has completed. You probably just oxyegnated the hell out of your beer. How did you re-aerate it?

within 24 hours isn't usually an issue, I wouldn't worry about it

within 24 hours isn't usually an issue, I wouldn't worry about it

Maybe I misread the OPs post and fermentation hadn't started?? But if it had already started wouldn't reaerating be a big no no even it was only 24 hours after fermentation began??

it sounds like it hadn't started yet, and since it was the first batch id assume it was underpitched and probably true.

in bigger beers its sometimes recommended to re-aerate 12-24 hours after pitching to help propagate to the proper #s. if it was already krausened (which i doubt), then it would be a no-no, and if krausen has already fallen, then its a very big no-no.

You will be fine. It might create some off flavors, but more than likely you won't notice especially since it's your first batch.

Not sure that aerating or re-pitching was the best thing, temps certainly needed help ,but thinking back 11 years to my first batch - OMG - I bet it was awful, but I was SO impressed with myself. So a big +1 to the above observation.

He'll get better as he spends time on HBT :ban:

Back