Fermenting temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
hey I have a quick questions.

I have a fridge/ranco controller set up. Would it be a good idea to tap the temperature probe to the glass carboy to get a more accurate temp reading, or should i just leave it suspended in the fridge? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

:mug:

**** sorry, i didnt realize i was in the introductions subforum, if anyone could move this, that would be awesome. I cant figure out how to delete this.

It doesn't matter where the probe is located because the refrigerator is a closed system. If the fermentor was in the open air with a heating blanket, then the probe would need to be in contact with the liquid, preferably in a thermowell.

Tom

I tape the temp probe to the side of my fermentation bucket and cover it with a few layers of bubble wrap. It's the temp of the fermenting wort that matters, not the air temp per se. Because fermentation produces heat, the ambient temp inside my freezer is usually a few degrees below that of the fermenting wort for the first few days, then they equilibrate as active fermentation tapers off.

Back