Fermenting stopped. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

socalchef

Reaction score
(If double post im sorry. Just posted but now its gone)

I made a 5 gallon batch on memorial day. Pitched the dry (didnt reconstitute) yeast, maybe a tad higher temp than i should of, and now i dont think it is fermenting anymore.

At 24 hour mark it was going crazy, 48 hr still going but by the 3rd day it appeared to die down almost 100%. Been this way frlm Thurs till now.

Nothing appears to be happing anymore.
Should i pitch new yeast and hope for the best, this time reconstitute it first?

Thanks

Nokie

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything. Just because it looks or seems like nothing is happening you won't know unless you take a reading with a hydrometer.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How warm was the wort when it was fermenting? Warm = faster but not better. It is best to keep the wort in the mid sixties for most ale yeasts.

After 10 - 14 days from brewday, take a gravity reading. Then 2 days later take another if they are the same it is probably safe to bottle.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Something got fouled up.
I asked for the 2 threads to be merged, but instead both got deleted, apparently.

Chances are your beer is done fermenting. Leave another week to condition out, but do not rack to a secondary, leave in the vessel it is in now. Next week take a gravity reading, and again a few days later. If they match AND are close to your expected FG, it's ready to package.

OP
S

socalchef

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Ill give it a week and take a reading.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(If double post im sorry. Just posted but now its gone)

I made a 5 gallon batch on memorial day. Pitched the dry (didnt reconstitute) yeast, maybe a tad higher temp than i should of, and now i dont think it is fermenting anymore.

At 24 hour mark it was going crazy, 48 hr still going but by the 3rd day it appeared to die down almost 100%. Been this way frlm Thurs till now.

Nothing appears to be happing anymore.
Should i pitch new yeast and hope for the best, this time reconstitute it first?

Thanks
As others mentioned - leave it be. It is likely done fermenting, but could benefit from more time.

One thing for future brews - you mentioned that the temps were maybe a "tad high." Ideally, if you are brewing a regular type "ale" with ale yeast, you probably want to chill it down to 62-66 degrees and you want to be able to maintain the temperature of the fermenting wort at 66-72 degrees throughout fermentation.
Often times the directions imply that mid to upper 70's is ok.... and people take that to mean the room temperature can be 75+ degrees. That is not ideal. You always want to thing about the temperature of the fermenting wort and if it is an ale, you are shooting for that 66-72 range probably.:mug:

flars

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Ill give it a week and take a reading.
I would be interested in what you brewed and the yeast used. I brewed a porter recently. SG was steady for 6 days but seemed too high. Just thought I mashed higher than 156°F so I bottled. A month later checked the SG of an over carbed bottle. The SG had dropped 7 points.

OP
S

socalchef

Reaction score
I would be interested in what you brewed and the yeast used. I brewed a porter recently. SG was steady for 6 days but seemed too high. Just thought I mashed higher than 156°F so I bottled. A month later checked the SG of an over carbed bottle. The SG had dropped 7 points.
I brewed an orange wheat. When i get home ill post the recipe.