Fermenting Over Winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewer123

Reaction score
So...
I live in New England.
I put a 5 gallon batch in my garage for primary fermentation (plastic bucket). Then I had so much stuff going on I had to let it be for a month or two. Then it got so cold that it froze.

My question is:
Now that it is warming up, and is melted, can I bottle it? I'm assuming the yeasties are dead and gone, but it must have fermented pretty hardcore for a couple weeks there before it froze.

Thanks!

Palmer talks about a similar thing happening to him when he did his first lager.....So long as sanitation was not compromised, you Are going to be fine........

As long as it fermented well at somewhat of a constant temp for the first week I think you should be fine. But as they say only one ways to find out. I can't imagine going out to check my beer and have it be Frozen!:drunk:

the good news is that it is still beer. I really can't think of the bad side :)

Seriously though, just bottle it and give it a try, maybe you will have a new way of fermenting an ale.

okay so i opened it up and it looks a-ok, no infections or anything. however, when i bottle it for carbonation, should I add more yeast (assuming the yeast that froze is dead), or take my chances with an uncarbonated beer?

thanks!

I'd check the SG, just to make sure it fermented.

Then, I'd add about 1/4 package of nottingham yeast to the cooled priming solution and stir well. Then rack the beer into it and bottle it.

Latest posts

Back