Fermenting near hot water heater, HVAC, and washer drier.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollowdp

Reaction score
Well I've lost my spare bedroom/brewhouse to the new roommate but on the upside I'll have more funds to devote to my craft. Now, aside from the garage the only other viable space is under the stairs in the laundy room. However, I'm concerned that with it being right next to the hot water heater and the HVAC unit it would be less than ideal conditions. As long as I don't work with any open fermentation vessels with the heat/AC on should I be ok with airlocked carboys? Should I try to build an insulated fermentation chamber to try and reduce the fluctuations in temperature? Am I completely overthinking this? Another plus side is that there's a slop sink in there so I wouldn't have to go to far to clean things.

Take a quick- read themometer in there and check the temps. Do it at various times during the day to see how much temps fluctuate. That ought to give you an idea of your fermentation space.

An insulated fermentation box is always a good idea. I'd spend $10 on a digital min/max thermometer and see what the variations are.

It is impossible to form an explosive mixture from fermentation. Exploding bottles are a different sort of thing.:p

Back