Fermenting Mystery ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dorset

Reaction score
I pressed 8 gallon of fresh cider in meticulously clean apparatus and split into 2 x 4 gal vessels.

In one I added a packet of lalvin 71B in the other a packet of lalvin EC 118.
The 118 took off really well. No activity in the airlock of 71b.

Thought I must have a bad 71b yeast packet so made a starter with the must with different yeasts from different suppliers. All failed. Sterlised the must with Campden tablets to start again. Checked SG before adding the new culture It had fallen from 1.04 to 1.01 ?

How can this happen with a closed lid and no regularly checked airlock activity ?

Nice idea Maylar. I checked the bubble airlock a few times. It still had water in and when you pushed it up and down in the grommet seal the water level moved as you would expect.

This is really helpful Maylar. It all looks sealed but something must be leaking - I cannot escape the fact that the SG dropped 30 points so it must have fermented ? And only yeast could have done this ? So it must have turned the sugar to alcohol ?

This is really helpful Maylar. It all looks sealed but something must be leaking - I cannot escape the fact that the SG dropped 30 points so it must have fermented ? And only yeast could have done this ? So it must have turned the sugar to alcohol ?
Well, if your readings were correct then yes, you have alcohol. What does it look like? Do you have some foam on the top?

Mystery Solved

I thought I was going mad but it is indeed a leaking bucket rim/ lid. No sign at all of any damage but it leaks from one area.

Thanks for all your help Maylar, Island Lizard and Bracconiere.

Latest posts

Back