Fermenting Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indo_China

Reaction score
Ok,

I brewed my first batch and it is a lager, I am regretting this now as I have no bubbles to watch.

My question is this OG was fine per directions and I did stir and shake after pitching. I have it in the basement in the area with the water heater and the temp is about 58 degrees and steady. I pulled the lid back and saw two small groups of bubbles and it smells awesome.

Am I ok?

I am going to wait it out I wish I brewed and ale first since the waiting on this lager is obviously going to be hell. I will however be headed for an additional fermenter and carboy!

I would just let it be and not pull the lid off again. How long ago did you brew it? Leave it at least 72 hours before pushing the panic button.

Did you pitch the yeast at a similar temperature to the wort?

I pitched the yeast at around 65 degrees. I do not thinking mixed it as much as I could have.

There's no guarantee your airlock will bubble, don't count on it. Wait a week, check the gravity, if its changed your fine(leave it for another 2-3 weeks) if not I'd say repitch. RDWHAHB

Lager yeast takes a while to get going and you generally won't get a real active fermentation (compared to ales), even with the proper pitch rates.

I am going to use an old fridge in the basement when I go to the secondary. How critical is it to step the temp down slowly, ie 1 degree per day?

I am going to use an old fridge in the basement when I go to the secondary. How critical is it to step the temp down slowly, ie 1 degree per day?

After you rack, it's not critical to lower the temp that slowly. I do 5 degrees per day, until I'm at 34 degrees but it's more from habit and doing it the "old" way than really being convinced of the necessity of it! Some people rack right after the diacetyl rest and cool it right away to lagering temps with good results.

The lagering really isn't using the yeast to do much, as the cold lagering will be dropping out the hops polyphenols for one thing. If the FG has been reached, lagering is more about smoothing out the flavors and not really about using the yeast for the conditioning process.

Guys, I sincerely appreciate all of your help. I am really enjoying worrying about something besides work!

Ok,

I brewed my first batch and it is a lager, I am regretting this now as I have no bubbles to watch.

My question is this OG was fine per directions and I did stir and shake after pitching. I have it in the basement in the area with the water heater and the temp is about 58 degrees and steady. I pulled the lid back and saw two small groups of bubbles and it smells awesome.

Am I ok?

I am going to wait it out I wish I brewed and ale first since the waiting on this lager is obviously going to be hell. I will however be headed for an additional fermenter and carboy!

I did just that, got out and got myself a another carboy. The fermentation for my first brew started only after 72hours and after that it just went crazy. have fun and dont worry.

Back