Fermenting in igloo mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I've got a fermzilla which I really like, but I have one batch of beer fermenting right now already in it, and want to get a 2nd going (all 3 of my taps ran dry recently).
I used to always brew in brew buckets, so I could just go back to that for the 2nd batch, but wondering about using my 10gal igloo cooler mash tun. I do have a valve both on the top and bottom (for recirculating during mash), so I can use the upper one to hookup a blowoff tube.

Any downside to using one of these? I searched but didn't find much discussion about it.

If it's insulated, wont it be harder to control the temperature and keeping it from getting too hot?

I would have a concern the lid of the igloo cooler wouldn’t be able to keep a good tight seal and keep oxygen out.

If it's insulated, wont it be harder to control the temperature and keeping it from getting too hot?
Good point. I have a fermentation chamber I keep between 18-20C, but I'll monitor the fermentation temp as well to see how it does.

I would have a concern the lid of the igloo cooler wouldn’t be able to keep a good tight seal and keep oxygen out.

Also a good point. I'd think the small amount that leaks out there wouldn't be enough to totally remove the positive pressure during fermentation, but I'll add some tape around the lid joint.

If there's a path straight to fusel alcohol production this sounds like it.
A cooler will not be able to shed the heat of fermentation....

Cheers!
It is a bit warmer than my target right now, about 24C. I've turned the heater in that ferm chamber down to keep air temp around 15, will see if that drops the ferm temp a bit overnight.

Sanitation might be an issue. If its like mine it's scuffed up a bit from scrubbing. Also as only a mash tun, mine has only been washed, not sanitized as it on the hot side. I would pull apart the valve and clean thoroughly.

Sanitation might be an issue. If its like mine it's scuffed up a bit from scrubbing. Also as only a mash tun, mine has only been washed, not sanitized as it on the hot side. I would pull apart the valve and clean thoroughly.
Yep I took out the valve and thermometer and cleaned them, then sanitized the whole thing. i've only used this mash run maybe 5-6 times, so it's still in pretty good condition. We'll see :)

You also cannot mash another beer while your tun is occupied. I brew every week, so that's a no go. If you got old buckets that are in decent shape, you know, I'm just saying.
If you do try it, It should work. The yeast know what to do.

You also cannot mash another beer while your tun is occupied. I brew every week, so that's a no go. If you got old buckets that are in decent shape, you know, I'm just saying.
If you do try it, It should work. The yeast know what to do.
oh crap, there is my fatal flaw. I was planning on making another batch this weekend.

I'll have the fermzilla free, but now no mash tun. oops.

next time, go get a 6-gallon plastic bucket and lid from your LHBS. if no LHBS, then you should be able to find white food grade 5-gallon buckets at your local hardware. the ones I have came from TrueValue. they are made by Leaktite of Leominster Mass. I called them and they verified that their white buckets are food grade. if you need to use a 5-gallon bucket, of course you'll need to cut your batch size down to about 4 gallons to allow headspace for the kreusen. if you go the hardware store route, bring your airlock along with you so you can pick up the right size rubber grommet for the hole that you will need to drill in the lid.

Walmart has food grade buckets for about $3. Drill a hole in the lid, add a stopper and an airlock and you are good to go.
For free or really cheap food grade buckets, check with local bakeries or the bakery/deli part of a supermarket, many bulk bakery items come in buckets and they usually just throw them out.

Walmart has food grade buckets for about $3. Drill a hole in the lid, add a stopper and an airlock and you are good to go.
For free or really cheap food grade buckets, check with local bakeries or the bakery/deli part of a supermarket, many bulk bakery items come in buckets and they usually just throw them out.
Yea lack of buckets isn't the issue, I do have a couple, for some reason I just thought the mash tun would be good, but now I can't make my next batch :)
I think an xfer of the currently fermenting batch is in order. Should still be plenty of CO2 to protect it.

For some home brewers ( and you know who you are!!!), "transfer to secondary" is a laughable process. Every time some new brewer asks if he should do it, there will be multiple responses from "I never secondary" to "why are you doing it, just because the instructions told you!". Actually, Transfer to secondary is just another tool in the box. It's not always necessary, but I do it when needed. for instance when I put a finished mead on fruit, or are having clarification issues. But mostly, I transfer to free up my primary. My secondary carboys are 5 gal, and not suitable for a vigorous fermentation, but are just fine for, oh , I don't know, secondary uses.
When your big fermenter has served its purpose, move the beer along the pipeline. A little O2 at this point wont hurt it unless you are going to store it for a long time.

I did xfer it to a 6 gallon carboy tonight. It's down to 1.020, there is a very slight banana aroma on the nose. Liquid Temp when racking was 19C though so don't think it's overheated.

Mash tun is now free for tomorrow :)

Attachments

• 16198324558937840572290895588711.jpg
    16198324558937840572290895588711.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
For some home brewers ( and you know who you are!!!), "transfer to secondary" is a laughable process.
That seems to be the consensus here.

Palmer in How to Brew wrote that people who uses the plastic buckets buckets that are not airtight or even open containers, which are fine for the primary fermentation when the yeast is hungry for oxygen and the Krausen protects the beer, needs to transfer to airtight fermenter/carboy with airlock for the secondary fermentation. And that oxygen exposure is not a problem since the yeast should still be active enough to consume it when done at the right time.

That seem reasonable.
To get further into the weeds, There is, actually, no Secondary Fermentation , without you've added some sugars. What you are doing is transferring to a secondary vessel to complete primary fermentation, floculation and clarification.
Back in the day, commercial brewers in England would transfer to free up the primary fermentation vessel, and noticed that the beer would kick off some activity, that they labeled a "Secondary Fermentation", when in actuality it was most likely just CO2 coming out of solution because of the transfer.

I ferment my Hefeweizen in a 15 gallon sterilite storage container from walmart. No issues. The lid releases CO2 and keeps the dust out.
Do you mean one of those storage tubs you get to store Christmas decorations in? I'd like to see that. Got any Pictures?
In theory it should work. The gas is being pushed out.

Do you mean one of those storage tubs you get to store Christmas decorations in? I'd like to see that. Got any Pictures?
In theory it should work. The gas is being pushed out.

I put a bottling spigot in the end. I skim the krausen and just as it begins to fall I transfer to a closed fermenter. Next time I'm going to let it completely ferment in this then rack to a bottling bucket.

View attachment 1620321496854.jpeg

I'm guessing you end up with beer. Them yeasts don't know where they are.

Nice, and affordable.

Back