Fermenting in Cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cans can hold pressure just like bottles, so there is no downside of refermenting in the can and letting the beer age.

Can-ditioning?

Looks like it is possible, but maybe not highly done?

"According to Chichura (from Oksar Blues), there isn’t much difference between conditioning in a can or bottle, in terms of challenges. If you over-carbonate a bottle, there’s a good chance it will explode. If you over-carbonate a can, it will “probably blow out the dome on the can bottom, or possibly cause the opening score to break,” he noted. So, glass shrapnel vs. aluminum shrapnel. Sounds like a tie. Chichura also reminded me about the obvious problem of under-carbonating: “There’s no reasonable way to re-prime a can or bottle of beer to achieve proper carbonation.” Both also require a decent amount of valuable brewery floor space. "

edit.. also mentioned in the article "Oskar Blues doesn’t can condition, but that’s not because it isn’t possible."

Can-ditioning?

Looks like it is possible, but maybe not highly done?

"According to Chichura (from Oksar Blues), there isn’t much difference between conditioning in a can or bottle, in terms of challenges. If you over-carbonate a bottle, there’s a good chance it will explode. If you over-carbonate a can, it will “probably blow out the dome on the can bottom, or possibly cause the opening score to break,” he noted. So, glass shrapnel vs. aluminum shrapnel. Sounds like a tie. Chichura also reminded me about the obvious problem of under-carbonating: “There’s no reasonable way to re-prime a can or bottle of beer to achieve proper carbonation.” Both also require a decent amount of valuable brewery floor space. "

edit.. also mentioned in the article "Oskar Blues doesn’t can condition, but that’s not because it isn’t possible."
Not sure there would be any aluminum shrapnel.....the can would tear but would stay connected - unlike glass that the only failure mode is to have shards. If it tears at the opening score, it would be a pretty controlled release. Sounds pretty safe over all.

The can would most likely explode if you tried fermenting in them. If you mean carbonating that would be interesting. I've never heard of "bottle conditioned" cans, not sure if they would take the pressure or not.

Then you might consider trying one of these. They have always been carbonated in the can. Yes, if you look you'll see a thin layer of yeast at the bottom.

upload_2018-11-19_14-0-42.png

Chichura also reminded me about the obvious problem of under-carbonating: “There’s no reasonable way to re-prime a can or bottle of beer to achieve proper carbonation.”

Ok, I can see that there would be no reasonable way to re-prime a can of beer. But a bottle.....take the cap off, add some more sugar solution, put a new cap on. Or is he talking about commercial quantities?

The seams are the weak link. The cans won't explode, they will just leak at the seam.
I've can conditioned with mixed results. I've done wheat beers at 3.5 vols with no problem and some that leaked at the seams.
Use the seam checker and check your seams regularly. I got complacent and didn't verify the seams were within spec, which was why they were leaking.

Back