Fermenting in bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFamato

Reaction score
If I only have one fermenting bucket and I want to do a secondary ferment. Could I use my bottling bucket which has a plastic drain valve? I did order another fermenter, but won't get it for a other week.

Also, does everyone use a carboy for secondary fermentation or could I use another plastic fermenting bucket for transferring my primary? Will this hurt my beer?

I have done that before, all you have to watch out for is the valve leaking.

Some people that is all they use.

There isn't much reason to do a secondary unless you plan on adding something to your beer after primary.

Yup my last batch of wheat was in a bottling bucket. Came out just fine.

70d87081.jpg

(Not done yet, was only bottled for 3 days when I took the picture)

The only problem with transferring to your bottling bucket for secondary is the size. And in the size, I mean you obviously run the risk of oxidization. With all the head room that will remain and the amount of air that is left in there, you raise the risk a little bit. Just my thoughts.

bottling bucket will make a fine secondary if its all you have.

If your using plastic the only difference between a fermentor and a bottling bucket is they drill a hole in it.

Williams Brewing drills holes in there fermentors so they can stock 1 item and sell them under 2 names.
a "Bottling bucket" and a "siphonless fermentor"

bottling bucket will make a fine secondary if its all you have.

If your using plastic the only difference between a fermentor and a bottling bucket is they drill a hole in it.

Williams Brewing drills holes in there fermentors so they can stock 1 item and sell them under 2 names.
a "Bottling bucket" and a "siphonless fermentor"

Actually, there is a difference between the Williams bottling bucket and the siphonless fermentation bucket. I use both as fermentation buckets and went and purchased a home depot bucket I use for a bottling bucket, but Williams drills the hole on the bottling bucket much lower than on the fermentation bucket. When I use the Williams bottling bucket as a fermentation bucket, I make sure I turn the invert tube backnut sideways instead of straight down so that it does not get buried under a tightly packed yeast cake. Other than that, they're both six and a half gallon buckets.

A fermenter is a fermenter. As long is sanitary. But when done fermenting and cleaning that bottling bucket, I'd pay attention to spigot. But also, if making good beer, pretty sure you have good sanitation practices as well.

I use my bottling bucket. Works fine. Like Gear101 said, just make sure the valve is not leaking.

20120414160332912.jpg

On the other hand, if your volume is 5 gallons or less, the white buckets in Lowes and Walmart paint departments are food grade IF they are made by Encore. In my area, Walmart is a little less money. According to the Encore's website, they are food grade if they are white.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

Cool, thanks everyone for your responses. This has really helped.

I do have one more question. With a 5 gallon batch are 6 1/2 gallon buckets to big for primary and secondary fermentations. Is there to much air space in the buckets, especially for the secondary bucket?

I do have one more question. With a 5 gallon batch are 6 1/2 gallon buckets to big for primary and secondary fermentations. Is there to much air space in the buckets, especially for the secondary bucket?

No - 6.5's are fine. If your primary fermentation volume is an actual five gallons, and you have waited until the fermentation is nearly done (hydrometer test!), then you can use a five gallon carboy or bucket for your secondary. There is less 'headspace' in the secondary then, BUT the fermentation needs to be finished (so the fermentation will not restart and blow off your airlock).

Be sure and read revvy's (and others) various post on using a secondary - here is one - I only use a secondary to free up my primary to brew again. As money allows for more fermentation buckets, I intend to start with longer primarys like he suggests.

Latest posts

Back