Fermenting in a SS brewtech 1/2 bbl chronical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan Dingler

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience fermenting in one of these? I'm worried that it says it's a 1/2 bbl fermenter (15.5 gal) but its capacity is 17 gal. You get like 1.5 gals more of capacity or so with the domed lid, unless u want to use the coil chiller for temp control which leaves you with a flat lid (and minus the volume that the coil occupies). I want to buy it but i'm worried that there's only about 9% of headspace or even less taking into account the volume of the coil. Will I be able to ferment 15.5 gals of wort in this thing? I've read 20% of headspace is usually recomended.

Thoughts??

Cheers!!

I haven't used that fermenter, but I'd recommend a total volume of 130% of batch size. 20% headspace is often not enough, IMO.

I do have a little experience with shoehorning batches into less than ideally sized fermenters. (They weren't mine, and I had no choice.) Blowoff hoses (by default, not just for high gravity batches) and Fermcap in the fermenter were helpful.

But you do have a choice (assuming you haven't bought the fermenter yet). Personally, I'd either make slightly smaller batches or buy a different (bigger) fermenter.

I have one and do 15 gallon batches all the time without a problem. I usually do 13 gallon batches in that one because some yeasts can develop a large krausen and cause problems but even the 15 gallon batches have been fine. Knock on wood...

Not sure about price difference exactly but the Spike CF15 is not much more and has 18 gallon capacity. I use one and even with a decent dry hop load manage to get 14.5 to 15 gallons kegged every batch.

it’s also a unitank and doesn’t have any threaded fittings.

Back