Fermenting in a bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
Is there any harm just fermenting in my bottling bucket. If I don't plan on moving it to a secondary my thought is that this would be less chance to introduce oxygen to the beer. My plan is to bottle a six pack or do and keg the rest.

No, not at all. I have spigots on both my fermenters. They must be cleaned after every use & sanitized before re-assembling to the bocket. Clean & sanitize the mounting hole too. The only problem here is not having a bottling bucket cleaned & ready to prime the beer in for bottling. So keg it, carbonate it, then bottle some in your case. I have a dedicated bottling bucket myself.

You can ferment in bottling buckets, just be aware that those spigots are known to hide bacteria. Extra care should be taken to clean and sanitize it, cheers.

It's fine, just don't knock off that spigot when moving it.

Make sure it's sanitized thoroughly. Bugs can hide between the 2 main rotating 3/4" barrels. Pop it apart after soaking in very hot water.

You still may suck yeast and trub due to turbulence when racking from the spigot, so put a clamp on the hose to restrict flow a bit.

I did it exclusively for years. I mainly use SS Brewbuckets now - SS version of a bottling bucket. I still use bottling buckets for my lagers because my ferment chamber fits buckets best.

*Make sure to keep that spigot clean. Take it completely apart - the valve comes out. I assemble it into the fermenter while submerged in star san.

*I use seal rings on inside and out. after assembling and putting the spigot in the bucket, take it out with a gallon or two of star san in it to make sure it is not leaking. They will leak a bit sometimes. That way you can adjust it and make sure it is not dripping at all before you put your beer in it.

*Keep spigot twisted a bit to the side - not up and down. Often the spigot will actually sit a bit lower than the bottom of the bucket. You don't want it resting on the spigot - it will break or leak.

*I put a sandwich bag with a rubber band over the spigot to keep dust, fruitflies, debris out of it while fermenting.

* I keep star san in a spray bottle and spray it out well before opening spigot for samples or transfer.

*Take the airlock out before opening the spigot or it will suck back into fermenter.

*Set it up on counter a couple days before you want to transfer - that way it allows any yeast/trub to settle back after moving.

Basically, I think they are absolutely great fermenters - no siphoning, easy transfers, there is enough dead space for trub and yeast to settle below valve. Also a great way to collect yeast from beers that are rather low hopped and turn out well. After transfer just leave a bit of liquid behind, swirl it up and transfer into clean, sanitized mason jars through the spigot.

Like I said - they worked great for me for 5+ years before I started to use some SS brew buckets. I would use them before any other type of fermenter besides my ss buckets.

Works great. I usually run a little into a glass first, because if you have a thick yeast cake, you'll transfer a glob into your first bottle or keg. No biggie, really, just a peeve of mine.

I'd also like to add the mod I did for the spigot seals.
This pic shows the rubber sheet I got at Lowe's on the end cap of the isle with the bulk tubing. I traced the seal on it & cut it out with a razor knife.

This view shows the new seal going on before the stock seal, then the lock lug. It'll now be way easier to get a tight seal without squishing the stock seals to get'em tight enough.

^Somehow I get the feeling I'm not alone on this one?...:D

Let's just say, after mixing up a batch of mead last night, my kitchen floor smells like honey, and is slightly sticky, despite being mopped twice. :D

Latest posts

Back