Fermenting Hefeweizen - Is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaudoin

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a kind of wheat beer using WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast. My OG was 1.046 and I'm looking for a FG of 1.008, but it seems to have stopped fermenting completely at 1.020. I'm wondering if my mash temp was too high, and maybe I have too many unfermentable sugars? I mashed at 156 F or 69 C.

I'll wait a few days to see if the gravity has changed, but if not, how do I save the beer?

1.020 is still a bit high even if you mashed too high. 156 shouldn't have been too high regardless. Have you roused the yeast? How long ago did you brew/pitch?

1.020 is still a bit high even if you mashed too high. 156 shouldn't have been too high regardless. Have you roused the yeast? How long ago did you brew/pitch?

I pitched 3 days ago. It was going strong for about a day, but it just died out. Yes... I tried rousing the yeast today.

I would expect the beer to ferment out to 1.011 at 152, at 156 it's a little high of a mash temp iMO but 3 days is pretty quick to judge, give it a least 10-14 days total before doing anything else

Perhaps it's too cold for fermentation. Optimum fermentation temp.: 68-72 degrees F

Back