Fermenting first lager and need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpmau11

Reaction score
I brewed a munich helles lager and used one packet of Saflager 34/70 and it started fermeting very nicely at 60 degrees for 2 days then I put it in a fridge at 40 degrees and I'm leaving it there for 2 months. I'm afraid one packet wasn't enough, and I'm worried its too cold. I figure it would still ferment just slowly, and since I'm letting sit for 2 months that would be plenty of time for it to ferment and mature completely. I need help!

It looks like optimal temp for the yeast you used is 9 - 15 degrees celsius... or 48 degrees fahrenheit... so bump up the temp a little bit and you'll be golden.

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/Prodsheets/SaflagerW-34-70.pdf

+1.

Bump it up to 48-50F or so for a few more days. I usually leave it at 52F for 1 week, then start lowering the temperatuer for 1 week, 2-4F at a time. At the end of 2 weeks I'm sitting at 35F which is when the lagering really starts. It'll sit there for several weeks until ready. I usually do not require a diacetyl rest.

I know, I know, people say "don't go off of a schedule, let the beer tell you when it's time to lower the temperature". That's great and all, but the above procedure works fine for me.

Back