Fermenting DIPA really low prevent violent fermentations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Reaction score
Just curious as I made a all grain Double IPA and they usually want to blow the lid off. This one was 1.76 and used 1056 yeast. The temperature here was dipping in the -2's at night and cellar got down around 48 degrees.

I add yeast and let stand a a few hours at room temp and when fermentation started I took to the cellar. Usually its around 58 degrees. My fermenting chamber is being repaired so I have not been paying attention to the temp in cellar.

It's been a week and its still bubbling away albeit slow. It never needed a blow off. I did use a starter and it took off within an hour. Just curious as this is the first DIPA I did not need a blow off tube. The first time I ever fermented so cold aswell.

Sounds great. You might want to bring it to a warmer area since fermentation is likely winding down and you don't want it to stall.

Definitely don't worry about the cold temps. First off, there is nothing to do about it now. Second, while some off flavors may be caused by low temp fermentation, you are much better off IMO being on the cool side than the hot side.

At this point you are probably safe moving it to the main part of the house where it is likely above 60, which is the low end of 1056 if I remember correctly.

I have been brewing a few DIPA's myself lately and I havent even come close to needing a blow-off tube either. I pitch at around 62 degrees and never exceed 65ish throughout the fermentation, and it seems that at these temps you dont get too much krausen. It seems as though there is just as vigorous fermentation going on with just as much attenuation, just not as much krausen as I would expect, especially compared to belgian yeasts.

I have been brewing a few DIPA's myself lately and I havent even come close to needing a blow-off tube either. I pitch at around 62 degrees and never exceed 65ish throughout the fermentation, and it seems that at these temps you dont get too much krausen. It seems as though there is just as vigorous fermentation going on with just as much attenuation, just not as much krausen as I would expect, especially compared to belgian yeasts.

I have not cracked open the bucket. I will have to check the krausen level. Yea it did take off fast and furious then after 2 days just slowed down and even out.

And yes freisste I have brought it up to warmer area. Main fermentation is out of the way time to bring it up slow.

I was just curious if I you keep temperatures really low that it would stave off needing a blow off tube.

IMO you should ferment at a temp that makes the best beer, not one that makes the beer a bit less of a hassle. Colder temps have been known to reduce fermentation activity, and generally create a cleaner tasting beer (less esters), but it can also lead to a beer taking WAY longer than normal and possibly even stalling completely.

If you have good activity and moved to a warmer location before it stalled you are probably doing great. How's the gravity?

IMO you should ferment at a temp that makes the best beer, not one that makes the beer a bit less of a hassle. Colder temps have been known to reduce fermentation activity, and generally create a cleaner tasting beer (less esters), but it can also lead to a beer taking WAY longer than normal and possibly even stalling completely.

If you have good activity and moved to a warmer location before it stalled you are probably doing great. How's the gravity?

Gotcha. It makes sense to create the best beer. I was just curious if that is what caused it. I just tested it and its at 1.28 with an expected around 1.2. Krausen got almost to blow off status.

Back