Fermenting chamber - deal or no deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a lead on a commercial 2-door freezer (Nor-lake model NF2SS), which I was thinking would be a nice fermentation chamber with the addition of a Ranco controller. Internal measurements are 28" D x 56" H x 51" W, so I could fit 3 Sanke kegs in there and still have a little room. The freezer is 10 yrs old, but has a new compressor. $600 asking price, but I think I can get him down to $400. I don't really have the time to build one from scratch. I figure I can control 3 tanks at once with a single controller on the freezer, setting the temp to the coldest that I want for the fermenters. Then I can manipulate the temp of each tank independently by connecting another controller to a fermwrap for each tank. My preference was to have smaller, individual fridges for each fermenter with the thinking that if one fridge died I would only lose one batch of beer. With this I'm putting all my eggs into one basket, but I'm thinking this might be a more cost-effective way to go.

Deal. I think I picked up a small fridge for $25 but spent about another 500 to make the fern chamber. Will hold 6+ 6.5gal carboys.

Latest posts

Back