Fermenting bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tims5377

Reaction score
I have a regular plastic bottling bucket with a tap near the bottom and a snap on lid that has a built in rubber gasket. Im assuming this makes it air tight. For my primary I know i need to ferment in here, but im not sure how to allow the pressure to escape using this setup. I have seen lids with a spot to attach one of the bubble air locks in pics on here. Are these readily available or am i going to have to rig something up? Also, I assume i need an airlock to seal the [word i cannot remember, the mead equivalent of wort], is this correct?

Yep. The airlocks and gaskets for lids should be readily available from your LHBS. I forget the diameter of the drill bit you'll need, but that's pretty easy to determine once you have the airlock in hand. Your LHBS will know.

Airlocks can easily be purchased from your LHBS, and even some liquor stores, if they sell home brewing stuff. You may just want to buy a fermenting bucket without a spigot at the bottom for primary fermentation, they usually run pretty cheap.

if you can't afford getting a fermenting bucket you can often get just a lid with a predrilled hole and rubber grommet that accomidates an airlock that will probably fit your bottling bucket.

Back