Fermenting at Higher Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltySMoOTH

Reaction score
Does fermenting at higher temperatures using wine yeast produce undesirable characteristics in your cider? I have read that it does in beer, and I was wondering if it was the same with hard cider and apple wine.

I am 3 batches in, and about to start my fourth batch. The temperature where I ferment, has increased. I will be using Red Star Cote Des Blancs, and be fermenting between 68-75 degrees fahrenheit.

your responses are appreciated.
Thanks.

Weeelll, to me it's all relative. I think you can make an excellent cider at 75F, but it may have been a bit better if it was a bit cooler. You are talking about fine tuning, there are more important things to worry about. It will ferment very fast. It is better to be cooler but not something to lose sleep over.

Does fermenting at higher temperatures using wine yeast produce undesirable characteristics in your cider? I have read that it does in beer, and I was wondering if it was the same with hard cider and apple wine.

I am 3 batches in, and about to start my fourth batch. The temperature where I ferment, has increased. I will be using Red Star Cote Des Blancs, and be fermenting between 68-75 degrees fahrenheit.

your responses are appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes, you will create more esters at higher temps. You will not 'ruin' your batch, but it could exibit some 'spicyness' from the yeast esters.

I have not used Cote de Blanc at 75, but it works well in the high 60's. If you can, try to stay down there!

Yea, I won't worry about it too much. I am gonna try to keep the temperature in the mid 60's with some frozen water bottles around my carboy. This is a good time to experiment with this. Thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Back