Fermenting at 55 degrees... How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying a few recipes that require that kind of temp while fermenting (Anchor Steam clone).

So, how do you guys regulate that kind of temperature?

I guess the easy answer is a cool basement with a heat collar (if necessary).

But what if you're a NYC apartment dweller? Or you do have a basement (folks house) that isn't that cold? Any tips/links? Is a fridge the only way?

Got an old mini-fridge? Get a temperature controller, and I recommend a mini fan that comes on with the fridge. Plug the fridge and the fan into a power strip, plug the power strip into the temp controller. Done!
ferm_chamber.JPG

I use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler. I made a new lid out of foam, and removed the other lid, so it's better insulated and just the airlock pokes out. I add water to it, and frozen water bottles as needed. I keep a floating thermometer in the water bath, to check the temps as needed. This works in the summer, too, for when ambient air temperatures make it too warm to make an ale.

Here's a picture so you can visualize what I did:

4189-DSCF0001.JPG

There are more pictures in my gallery, showing the layers of foam, and how I made the handles for it.

I use an Igloo Ice Cube cooler. I made a new lid out of foam, and removed the other lid, so it's better insulated and just the airlock pokes out. I add water to it, and frozen water bottles as needed. I keep a floating thermometer in the water bath, to check the temps as needed. This works in the summer, too, for when ambient air temperatures make it too warm to make an ale.

This works in South Florida(even in summer) so this is all you need, unless you like to spend money

Swamp cooler
On the far left is the lid with a hole for the very top of the carboy.
I can easily knock 15 degrees off ambient temperature changing bottles out twice a day.

Swamp_cooler_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah, a bit of maintenance involved with that, but I can see that fitting in a closet in our apartment, whereas a mini-fridge wouldn't... so that works for me.

I really enjoy having my temp controlled chest freezer. I put the carboy in there (sometimes as high as 75 degrees) then tape the probe to the side of it, set it at 64 or so and leave it for a week without worry.

Twice a day? That's way too much of a PITA for me.....

You must not be a habitual air lock sniffer like me :drunk:
I'm down there anyway, besides my SWMBO is a peach about it.
"Hon, do I need to swap out those bottles..." :mug:

Right now my basement is almost too cold for lagers, just takes longer and they have all been CLEAN!
Sitting at 46-48 degrees in my basement since December :rockin:

Anybody ever tried just using a fan to blow accross the water in the cooler? That's how old evaporative coolers used to work. So wrap your carboy in a t shirt sit it in the cooler of water and blow a fan accross it. Then all you have to do is make sure the coller doesn't go dry. Right now I have a mini fridge with temp controller but it only holds so much and summer is coming quick in South Texas. I will not be able to brew more than one batch at a time if I don't make other arrangements.

+1 to the chest freezer. I dot he same thing. A very nice "set it and forget it" way to go about temp control.
Side note...i though anchor steam was fermented at ale temps, but using a lager yeast?

Back