Fermenting ale at higher temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimray

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to brew my first ale (Ale kit + tin of medium malt + sachet of dry ale yeast + 300gms sugar for the hell of it).

The temperature in the plastic keg has gone up to 25C and it is brewing like a steam train. However, the yeast advised brewing at 18 - 24C.

Will the higher temperature affect the flavour? Is the high temperature a result of fermentation? Should I move it to a cooler place?

Any tips or advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Jim
PS. I looked for results of brewing at too high a temperature but could only find threads re too low a temperature.

Optimum fermentation temps for ale yeasts will vary by strain, but typically the ideal range is between 20 and 23C. (~68-73F)

Fermentation is an exothermic process, so it will produce some heat. So, yes, the temperature of your wort will increase above ambient temp during fermentation.

With most ale yeasts you'll find that higher temperatures produce more esters, which lend your beer somewhat of a pear, or green apple type flavor. Some strains will yield fusel alcohol that can cause headaches too.

One way to combat the temperature rise is to wrap a wet towel around the carboy or bucket. The evaporation will help moderate the temperature. Another is to put your carboy or bucket in a larger container with a little bit of ice water in it.

What kind of setup are you using?

What strand of yeast are you using?

Hope this helps,
TB

Cheers TB.

A very basic set up - plastic keg plus air lock. I'm sort of new having had a 12 year gap since I last brewed beer!

The yeast is Safale s-04.

I'll try the cool towel method to cool it down.

Cheers,

Jim

uh-oh... I believe I used Nottingham ale yeast in my 'Bareknuckle Brown' ale, and it's sitting in a corner near a window and balcony door. It's a fairly hot Alabama summer but SWMBO won't let me place my fermenter anywhere else in the apartment. I may have to use the wet towel method as you suggested as well. Does anyone know how higher temps affect the nottingham british ale yeast? (sorry, not trying to hijack your thread Jimray)

uh-oh... I believe I used Nottingham ale yeast in my 'Bareknuckle Brown' ale, and it's sitting in a corner near a window and balcony door. It's a fairly hot Alabama summer but SWMBO won't let me place my fermenter anywhere else in the apartment. I may have to use the wet towel method as you suggested as well. Does anyone know how higher temps affect the nottingham british ale yeast? (sorry, not trying to hijack your thread Jimray)

Yeah, unfortunately Nottingham gets very estery and almost foul at high temperatures.

I like to keep my ales in the low 60s for the best results.

If you keep a wet towel on the carboy and point a fan at it, you should be fine. You might have to re-wet the towel with cold water periodically, but at least your Notty will behave in hot weather.

Best of luck to ya,
TiberaveragekineticenergyBrew

Back