Fermenting a Wheat @ 78° ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

juse

Reaction score
I'm ready to start my second batch & I'm going with a wheat this time. I was able to keep my first batch @ 70-72° in a carboy in a cooler in my closet with ice bottles, but I was wondering if I could just keep it in there at the room temp of 78° without a cooler at all. I'm thinking it would be okay for a wheat, maybe?

The reason I ask is because I got a Sanke keg that I want to use as a fermenter & this pig will not fit in my cooler. It won't even fit in my fridge without some mods. A big tub of water is not really practical in my closet, so I'm tempted to try it at 78°.

Anyone ferment around this range?

sinoth

Reaction score
My first batch is a wheat and I fermented at 75-80. I still have another two weeks for conditioning in the bottles, but when I tasted it at bottling it was good. Granted, I'm a noob here and my "good" might be "skank water" to others, but I don't think those temps will ruin your batch.

Also, you might consider some kind of cheap cooling for the keg. Right now I have a bucket in a big plastic box with some gallon jugs of frozen water. No standing water, just frozen jugs. With some insulation (blankets), I can keep the inside temperature a good 5-10 degrees below ambient, which might be enough for what you want.

jpuf

Reaction score
Man, that's up there... Could get awful fruity, but I'd give it a shot if I had no choice

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
My first wheat was around 75F, and it definitely had some banana esters in it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I like my wheats to have more clove than banana. It will still taste mighty good, but expect some banana/fruit aroma for sure.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
It will definitely be a banana bomb fermenting that warm. Remember that fermentation is an exothermic reaction, so the fermenter is going to be about 5 degrees warmer than the ambient temps, that's putting you around 83 degrees, way to warm IMO. I would suggest sticking to the carboy and cooler method, wheats are really best when fermented around 65-68.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Very warm for a Wheat beer. I would try any kind of home made gadget you could to keep the temp down.

fratermus

Reaction score
I've done it around that temp using Wyeast 3333 and got lots of banana. I prefer banana to clove, so no biggie. My cow-orkers liked it better than the weizen I did at 60F ambient.

I bet a trip to walmart would yield something suitable for waterbathing that keg. Or fall back on a carboy.

OP
juse

juse

Reaction score
what are you using for yeast?
I'm just using a Munton's kit
. Once I get the hang of it all, I'll brew my own stuff.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I think I will stick with the carboy for now. I just got such a good deal on a couple of Sankes that I wanted to use them somehow. I'm not set up for kegging & have a nice huge ss pot already, so I figured making a fermenter would be cool. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

j_jones84

Reaction score
This is only my second post and I've only brewed 3 batches but... I place my fermenter on a metal pan and wrap it in an old towel. I pour cold water all over the towel. I think the idea is just like sweating. The evaporating cools the fermenter. I water before work, when I get home, before bed. Seems like I can get it down at least 5degrees cooler if not more.

Then again I am using one of those stick on "Fermometers" on the outside of the carboy so the center of the beer might not be as cold, but I believe it helps out.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I fermented a hefe at 76F and it couldn't have tasted better! I served it at a party and "discretely" labeled both. Almost everybody wanted the one fermented hot vs cold.

PT934

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer a little bananna & clove, so a little warm is ok. When I have used american wheat yeast (liquid wyeast), I let it go wherever it wants. I did a batch that hit 80deg on the fermometer, so who knows what it was in the center of it all and it was excellent. Still very clean tasting. I thought it was going to be terrible.

Latest posts