Fermenting a kolsch right now and I have a couple questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstatemallards

Reaction score
My brew has been fermenting for 4 days at 73 degrees. I used the Wyeast Kolsch yeast. I went by the instructions from my HBS and it didn't say anything about fermenting it around 60-62 degrees like what i've read here today. Since I've fermented high for the first several days do you know what affect this will have?

I'm going to get a tub to put my carboy in and place some frozen two liters in there to cool it off.

Which yeast did you use?

The Wyeast and White labs Kolsch strains can be done anywhere from 55-68, supposedly, but if you really want a very clean and crisp character from the fermentation, you need to be at the lower end of that. I'm sure you'll have a fine beer in the end, but it will be a lot fruitier than it would have if you fermented it colder. I just finished a Kolsch that I left at 55 for 4 weeks before dropping to 32 for 6 more.

My brew has been fermenting for 4 days at 73 degrees. I used the Wyeast Kolsch yeast. I went by the instructions from my HBS and it didn't say anything about fermenting it around 60-62 degrees like what i've read here today. Since I've fermented high for the first several days do you know what affect this will have?

I'm going to get a tub to put my carboy in and place some frozen two liters in there to cool it off.

Its possible you will get some off flavors from fermenting it that high. Shame on the LHBS for not being clear to ferment it cooler. Almost all beers will do better when fermented cooler, but the kolsch strain is like a hybrid so it is particularly better at the lower range. Relax though... I'm sure it will still be fine, just not as smooth and crisp as a traditional Kolsch.

It may not give you the 'clean' taste the Kolsch is known for. If you choose, bring it down slowly in temp so it doesn't stop. Personally, I would leave it be. Next brew, make the same brew but ferment the second one at 62 and see if you can tell the difference. This is how we learn and have fun. Technically, after three days you made beer, the yeast are still fermenting a little and cleaning up the mess.

As much as I want to listen to the LHBS instructions (and those of this forum!), when it comes to yeast, I go straight to the source. Here is the info direct from Wyeast's website on kolsch yeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 2565 | Kölsch™

True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55° - 60° F range (13-16° C). Used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers. Requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Remember, we're talking about the actual fermentation temperature of the beer, not the room it's in! Fermentation produces heat, so in a warm place, the actual fermentation temperature can be 8-10 degrees hotter inside the fermenter than in the room.

So, as far as what you can expect? It'll be "fruitier" than it would be if it fermented at 60 degrees. It probably won't be bad, just not as "clean" as it would be if fermented colder. Kolsch is generally a clean, crisp, lager-like beer, and fruity qualities would be unexpected. Still, it will be a very good beer I'm sure!

Was 73 wort temp or ambient temp?

It's the temp on the outside of my carboy. I've got one of those sticky thermometers on there.

I'm supposed to rack to a secondary later this week but for the next few days will it help to bring the temp below 65 or is it too late. It's been fermenting for 4 days now.

There would be no harm in leaving it in primary for at least a week more, and in fact that would probably ensure better attenuation. Don't crash the temperature too quickly, either. If you have lagering capability, this would certainly help the beer, but take it down gradually by reducing the temp a couple degrees each day, if you are able to do so.

Ive got another question. The recipe was a mini mash and It called for about a pound of grains to be converted and I decided to use my newly built mash tun. After reading through the process again unrealized I messed up. :drunk: After I let the grains sit for a little over 30minutes which is what the recipe called for I drained out the fluids but I forgot to recycle them back into the tun. I just poured the liquid right into the boil kettle. Next, I poured another gallon of 175 degree water over the grains and rinsed them good. Since I forgot to recycle the original batch of liquid into the tun will this affect my outcome, if so how?

I'm thinking about just buying another kit and starting over.

The only purpose of a vorlauf (recycling the wort on top of the grains) is to keep as much grain material as possible out of the boil pot (so you don't get tannins). The grain will pack itself around the screen and act as its own filter. You vorlauf only until the wort runs relatively free of grain material.

I would get another kit and start over.... but keep that one!! Seriously, I've never made a kolsch that warm (I've made several) but its not way out of the range, just a bit. I agree with Yooper, go straight to Wyeast/White Labs for info and it says the top range is 70. You will probably get some weird flavors and it might be super fruity, but it might still be delicious. I've done some crazy bad things while making beer before (I know better now) but have almost always ended up with something really tasty.

I say keep what you got, but try making it again. Kolsch is a great summer beer and it disappears QUICK, especially when your friends come over...

Here's an update. It's day 8 of fermentation and my instructions from the lhbs say to put in some gelatin finings so I decided it was also time to check the gravity. The reading said 1.01 or at least pretty close to it. What number do you guys go by on the hydrometer when the beer crawls up the hydrometer by a point or two? If you look at the reading closely you can tell that the beer funnels up the hydrometer a little bit.

I also taste tested the brew and it was amazing. This is only my second batch and it tastes way better than my first wheat thats bottle conditioning right now. I didn't taste any of the fruit flavors that I was expecting. If I don't notice them now is it likely that they wont really develop later on?

I think the brew is done fermenting. I haven't seen an air bubble in the airlock since the 4th day and nothing is visually moving in there. The krausen still hasn't dropped but from reading other posts regarding the 2565 kolsch yeast I guess thats not unusual.

Ive been able to keep the wort at 68 degrees since my first post by keeping it in a tuperware tub and ice.

What number do you guys go by on the hydrometer when the beer crawls up the hydrometer by a point or two?

That's called the meniscus line. Go by the level of the liquid in the vessel, not the top of the meniscus on the hydrometer. Unless of course the hydrometer's instructions say to go by the top of the meniscus (I have only ever seen one that instructs this).

Backing the truck up on this thread, I'm about to brew my first Kölsch (with 2565) and was researching ferment temps, as there seem to be two schools of thought on the desired yeast character in the final beer. I'm after a traditional Kölsch as found in Köln and I'm flying blind as I have never tried one. Anyway some say ferment lower for clean, crisp and no fruitiness (psuedolager), others say allow a touch of fruitiness by fermenting a bit warmer. I'm thinking 17°C (62.6°F), as I'd like a touch of fruit, but could someone that has experienced the real thing give me some guidance?

Cheers

I do mine at 62 measured by a Ranco with the probe taped to the side of a better bottle. I imagine the internal temp is probably a few degrees higher. I've done lower and warmer (59 and 65 using same method), I prefer it at 62.

I actually just racked my second brew, a Kolsch, to the secondary, after being in the primary for 15 days at about 65-70 degrees (ambient, haven't put a therm on the carboy or checked inside the carboy). I now have it in my basement (ambient 65) next to a freezer (hoping the freezer cools the ambient temp to 55-60).

Now for the question:

Is my secondary temperature low enough? And how much of a difference do you think lagering would do? Its summer now and my capabilities are limited. I was thinking of unplugging said freezer, as its not in use, and dropping the temp a little and using the insulation to stay at a certain temp (if that makes sense.)

I use parentheses...

I actually just racked my second brew, a Kolsch, to the secondary, after being in the primary for 15 days at about 65-70 degrees (ambient, haven't put a therm on the carboy or checked inside the carboy). I now have it in my basement (ambient 65) next to a freezer (hoping the freezer cools the ambient temp to 55-60).

Now for the question:

Is my secondary temperature low enough? And how much of a difference do you think lagering would do? Its summer now and my capabilities are limited. I was thinking of unplugging said freezer, as its not in use, and dropping the temp a little and using the insulation to stay at a certain temp (if that makes sense.)

I use parentheses...

Putting it next to the freezer would make it warmer actually, as it pumps out heat to keep the inside cool.

"I was thinking of unplugging said freezer, as its not in use, and dropping the temp a little and using the insulation to stay at a certain temp (if that makes sense.)"

Dpeanut - if your freezer is not in use and you can afford a temp controller 60 - 85 bucks (sometimes a bit cheaper depending) then you can convert the freezer to a lagering chamber - that's what I did. My Kolsch is at 36 degrees F as I type this!

I too did not realize the temp range on the Kolsch yeast strain and also fermented it at a bit higher of a temp... (65 -70) ambient... Haven't tried it yet. Mine won't be too traditional though as I overshot the OG (by a lot!) and will most likely have too much body and color. Next time though... next time!

Latest posts

Back