Fermenting a Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some kind of a strong ale for the holidays. I'm not entirely on what it will be , I'm debating between an old ale or some kind of spiced winter warmer, but I'm aiming for the 8-9% range.

So my question is how long , ON AVERAGE, would I let something like this sit in primary and secondary. Also I will be taking SG readings but I'm just looking for a rough amount of time , something you'd expect with a beer of this strength. Thanks!

Honestly, an 8-9%ABV would already be brewed for the holidays. I would say at least 3-5 months. That doesn't mean you can't have a very drinkable brew in a month or so.

Shouldn't take much longer than any other ferementation. Two weeks or so in primary, another one or two in secondary if you swing that way, but you'll want it to condition for quite some time. I would get it started in the very not too distant future so it's ready by the time Christmas rolls around. If I didn't love brewing IPAs so much I'd have already brewed mine.

I'm assuming one week in primary and two in the secondary. This is what I've gathered but I could be off, that's why I'm asking.

I've had batches of 7% ready bottle in two weeks and have never really fermented anything longer then that.

EDIT: Okay, sorry posted before your post. But 2 week in each stage seems like it would make sense.

I'm assuming one week in primary and two in the secondary. This is what I've gathered but I could be off, that's why I'm asking.

I've had batches of 7% ready bottle in two weeks and have never really fermented anything longer then that.

Not looking to divert this into a secondary vs no secondary debate, but I am in the camp that doesn't use a secondary. I would just do two weeks in primary, bottle/keg and condition for at least a month, but more ideally two or three.

Big beers benefit from longer ferments in the primary and in secondary (or the bottle). I've known some big beers that are way too hot and alcoholic to drink initially but evolve into a different beer entirely after six months, or a year. For example, I brewed a pineapple barleywine with a few ounces of whiskey soaked oak chips tossed in the secondary for a week. It was way over-oaked but now, finally, one year later.... that oak flavor has finally died back allowing the other flavors to shine through.

I do a lot of big beers and I always let mine rest about a month (at minimum) and sometimes as long as four months in the primary. I would think that a beer in the 8-9 abv range would be fine at about a month. Now, to ensure the best possible environment for the yeasts, always use:

1. A servomyces capsule.
  2. Yeast nutrient.
  3. Yeast energizer.
  4. Pure oxygen aeration for one full minute.

The goal here is to provide the best environment for your yeast to do their job. Always pitch the proper amount of yeast and monitor the fermentation with your hydrometer. If the fermentation stalls, gently warm and rouse the yeast at room temperature for a day or two with a slow gentle long handled spoon stir. Avoid mixing oxygen in at that point.

Back