fermenting a 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
When you do a 10 gallon batch, do most of you ferment in 2 5 gallon pails? If you ferment in seperate containers, how similar do the beers taste afterwards?

I've always done 5 gallon batches but lately, I am having trouble keeping even one of my 2 taps flowing so I am thinking of jumping to 10 gallon batches.

Linc

I rarely do 10 gallons, but almost everyone I know that does them uses 5 gallon carboys. If you alternate filling the carboys, a gallon in A, one in B, the results are close. You can always mix them in the cornies.

All I do is 12 gallon batches (throw out the last 2 with all the break and trub)
As of now I just split them in 2 ale pails and will do so for the next few months.
I'm building two 15.5 gallon fermenters out of some old kegs.
Once I have that done I'll ferment in tose and rack with CO2. No more lifting. :ban:

Sorry for the double post I'm making a big A starter right now and trying not to make a mess on the stove.

As for if the beers are the same or not. They all taste the same but one ends up darker then the other. I have never figured out if it's the first or 2nd because they were getting moved around and I never marked them.
Now I fill half then fill the other half and so on. That works much better.

I used a 14.5 gallon conical fermenator and a 17.5 gallon plastic fermenter which easily accommodate my 10 gallon batches. I occasionally use 5 gallon carboys for secondary fermentations.

I ferment in two pales, and often pitch two different yeast strains. This is a great way to see the huge impact yeast has on flavor and aroma.

I use these for 10g batches

11999-15gal001.jpg

I went to the 15 gallon demi carboys. A little bigger but work pretty well. The only thing is if you have a auto siphon it is a little short for it, however gets over the trub in the primary. A little heavy to move around, Use a furniture dolly to get it from place to place and then lift to the counter to transfer/ (just got done doing that).

Also have a 14.5 fermenator that has its first batch in it. Did do the 6 gallon carboys for a little while, and still use them sometimes.

I use two Better Bottles for all my batches and haven't tried different yeasts in each one yet. I keep all conditions the same. For yeast starters, I just split it in two. The only difference I've noticed is that sometimes one carboy will ferment slightly faster than the other. I've wondered about this myself and even looked for a taste difference. I've never noticed one.

i ferment 15 gallons in this:

keg%20036.JPG

the flange gives me head space for krausen. i have abandoned the racking cane and use c02 to push the beer into the out post of the keg.

build photos here: http://tinyurl.com/2wam8j

I just use the 50L sanke keg setup like this:
2012-11-18_15-47-30_605-57335.jpg

I use this on the ferrule so that I can get a temperature reading and then use CO2 to push the finished beer out:
2012-11-18_15-43-19_663-57332.jpg

The 13.3 gallon capacity is good to do up to about 12 gallons at a time. IF I fill it up above 11 gallons, I simply add some fermcap-s to the batch and don't worry about it (at all). :D

I also do two buckets with different yeast most of the time. 1 White Labs with yeast starter and one re-hydrated dry yeast. It's a great way to experiment and truly tell the difference yeast makes.

Latest posts

Back