Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
A there some intermediate fermenter option out there I don't know about? We go from the dark ages of buckets and carboys to the modest step up to better bottles, them BAM!!! Quantum leap to stainless conicals costing waaaay more than any single piece of equipment most home brewers will ever buy. Does anyone make a stainless steel bucket? Why not a better bottle bucket in the 7 gallon range? Seems to me in this brewing revolution there should be more options...

I can speak for us....

We try to model our products after professional grade equipment; it's why we only use welded fittings. A stainless steel conical fermenter is a direct scaled down model from what the pros are using. A conical, especially one made in the USA like our, is extremely expensive to make. Stainless is very expensive and US wages are not cheap either.

I just saw a thread about a company selling a stainless conical looking bucket at around the $150 price point. Might be a happy medium.

Kegs. I ferment in 15.5 gallon sankeys, but lots of people do it in cornys too.

SpikeBrewing said:
I just saw a thread about a company selling a stainless conical looking bucket at around the $150 price point. Might be a happy medium.

Can you point me to that thread?

The $150 fermenter is the brew bucket.

I use a 120L Speidel for my 20 and 25 gallon batches. It is very nice and easy to clean. I use the spigot to drain right into corny kegs.

The stainless buckets are cool. I'd buy it if there were a way to harvest the yeast....I guess you could use the racking port....or simply scoop out the trub with a sanitized ladle.

The 15.5 gallon kegs are a good intermediate step if you don't need to harvest yeast without some work. I have a 15.5 gallon corny with the diptube cut and a 15.5 gallon sanke with the spear pulled and kit installed. Both work great, but I prefer the corny. Transfers are easy with some beer line jumpers. Decommissioned sankes are relatively cheap. The 15.5 gallon cornys run about $300 delivered. Either clean easily with a good PBW soak.

Sometimes I wonder about getting a large stainless stock pot to ferment in. Maybe drill a hole for an airlock in the lid.

Latest posts

Back