Fermenter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had a question which is bugging me. I am going to get two smaller bucket fermenters to make test batches in (about 11/12 L batches). An ideal bucket size would be about 15L I assume, but I can only find buckets of 10L or 20L. Would it be okay to brew an 11/12L batch in a 20L fermenter. Would there be too much air with that batch:fermenter ratio or would it be okay. I have read conflicting information online, but most say it will be fine. Just looking for more opinions.

Thank you

for primary, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you don't open the bucket too often.
Beer makes a lot of co2 in the first week or so, which will protect it till you disturb the "blanket" too much.

Yeah that should be ok. I ferment 5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon bucket which I think is the normal bucket size. So 12L in 20L would be about the same headspace.

PS, America really needs to get on the metric system lol

I know. I have to convert everything when reading about brewing. Majority of the recipes are either US or UK hahaha

To old to think about liters. LOL

I brew 1.8 gallon batches in a 2 g bucket from H.D. Most of the time I get 3 six packs. Never secondary.

Back