Fermenter size for 3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitamofo

Reaction score
I decided for the winter months, I will do my brewing indoors(did one brew outside in -30 celcius.. not fun). Because I just have a standard stove top, I don't think brewing 5 gallons would be very effective. So I am going to do 3 gallon batches and see if this works a little better. My question is, could I stick with a 5 gallon carboy or would that leave too much head space? Would it be better to get a 3 gallon carboy instead?

I would do the 5 gal carboy. Headspace shouldn't be that big of an issue and you can use a bung and airlock instead of a blowoff setup

I agree, use the 5 gallon for primary. Headspace doesn't really matter in the primary because the massive amounts of CO2 being produced purges all of the oxygen out of the fermenter. And with a 5 gallon fermenter you won't have to worry about a blow off tube. I have 3 gallons of IPA going right now in a 6 gallon better bottle.

i've got 3 gallons of marzen right now in a 7.9 gal wine bucket. 6.5 gal buckets and the one 7.9 are all i use for 3 gal batches, never had any issues. Just don't peek in to often as it will desplace the CO2 covering the beer. AND remember if it's in a bucket, the airlock (while not an indicator of fermentation) will take a little longer to "bubble" as there is more headspace to fill up first, as opposed to 5 gal in a 6.5 gal fermentor

Corney kegs work great for 3 gallon batches if you need extra fermentation space.

Agreed. If you have the kegs, use 'em. I ferment used to ferment 3-4 gallon batches in 5 gallon carboys, but recently switched to kegs. Both work great, but kegs are a bit easier to work with and won't break.

i've got 3 gallons of marzen right now in a 7.9 gal wine bucket. 6.5 gal buckets and the one 7.9 are all i use for 3 gal batches, never had any issues. Just don't peek in to often as it will desplace the CO2 covering the beer. AND remember if it's in a bucket, the airlock (while not an indicator of fermentation) will take a little longer to "bubble" as there is more headspace to fill up first, as opposed to 5 gal in a 6.5 gal fermentor

Well actually the airlock shouldn't take longer to bubble. Any amount of headspace that you have is already full of air whether it's 1 gallon or 4 gallons. As soon as the first bit of CO2 is added it will begin to build up pressure and force gas out of the airlock in about the same amount of time.

Great thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't too much head space. Should be able to get more brews done this winter now that I will be doing them indoors.

Great thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't too much head space. Should be able to get more brews done this winter now that I will be doing them indoors.

I brew indoors, 4 gallon all grain batches. Have for the last couple years. I like it. No bugs, no wind, nothing to fall into the chilling wort, etc. Works out pretty nice. If I move somewhere with a garage, I might brew outside again, but I might actually stick with 4 gallon batches. I just like brewing in a controlled environment, it eases my mind.

Well actually the airlock shouldn't take longer to bubble. Any amount of headspace that you have is already full of air whether it's 1 gallon or 4 gallons. As soon as the first bit of CO2 is added it will begin to build up pressure and force gas out of the airlock in about the same amount of time.

You're pry right. Ha just used to this theory to justify no bubbling back when I was new I think

I was going to post this very question! I'm the only one in my house that regularly drinks beer, and I thought brewing 3 gallon batches would allow more variety. Glad to see i don't need to get a smaller fermentation bucket!

I have only brewed indoors, and I always do 5 gallon batches on the stove. Since its the only way I've ever done it, I don't feel like I'm doing it the hard way. I have an 8 gallon BK and a large burner on my gas stove (power burner) and it works fine. It takes maybe 20 minutes or so to get my water boiling for most brews. It can be done without a burner!

Back