Fermenter Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrombley

Reaction score
I have over 1 inch of sediment in my fermenter. Is there any way I can filter it when I go to my secondary. The sediment is clogging the spigot. Thanks

My batch is only 2.5 gal, so I'm using a Mr. Beer Keg to ferment in. I usually use a 2.5 gal PET plastic water container I got at Walmart. I drilled a hole in the top cap and inserted an air lock. Seem to work pretty well. Both have spigots and the problem is sediment in the spigot. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Ah. I'm not real familiar with mr. beer, but I don't see why you couldn't auto siphon off it. Just start your shiphon with it only about half way in, then gently lower it into the sediment. should be ok.

Just swirl the sediment up a little and then put your fermenter back down and prop it up so that when the sediment settles back down it will collect toward the back of the fermenter and away from the spigot. Drain out all you can this way then remove the prop and slowly tilt the fermenter back toward straight up and you just let the clear wort come out, if you don't upset the sediment you should be able to get just about all the beer out.

Back