Fermenter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barganman04

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use 6.5 Gal Plastic Buckets for fermentors. I brew about 1-2 batches per month so I probably should shell out the cash for glass carboys; however, using my plastic pails, I have a problem getting the "Beer Smell" out of the fermentors as well as any other parts. I usually use soap and water....I have "Oxyclean" type brewery cleaner which can get very expensive to use all the time so most of the time I just use Antibacterial Dish Soap and HOTT water.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Should I even worry about the "Smell"?? :mug:

Thanks to all in advance

i soak mine in water and oxiclean overnight. I get 15# of the stuff at Costco for $14

no stinky fermenters here... I prefer my bucket over a carboy as a primary fermenter... carboy is for improving clarity or Apfelwein.

Well oxi clean will likely get rid of the beer smell in you fermenters...but IMHO having your beer fermenters smell like beer is just the normal course of business, hah!

Watch out for the glass, I know some love them till they break one, then there goes the relationship!

Back