Fermenter Opening for o2 in Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khumbu76

Reaction score
Hi everyone -- Long time lurker, seldom question-asker! I'm hoping that someone could possibly help me out with this one!:)

I plan on starting 5 gallon batches of kombucha and will be fermenting in a 20L Speidel (the same vessel I've been fermenting beer in over the years)

I understand that I should forgo the airlock in exchange for a cheese cloth or rag. But my question is, how big should the opening be? Would it be ok to use the current lid then wrap cheese cloth over the 1.5" opening? Or is it better to not use the lid at all to utilize the entire 5" opening?

If the smaller 1.5" opening is ok, can I get away with using a foam stopper or is it still better to still use the cheese cloth/rag + rubberband method?

Thanks so much in advance!

Any size opening is fine, oxygen just needs to get inside.

I cringe at Northern Brewer, but the foam stopper is perfect.

Cheers

Any size opening is fine, oxygen just needs to get inside.

I cringe at Northern Brewer, but the foam stopper is perfect.

Cheers

Perfect! That sounds like the set-up I'm going to go with then.

And yeah, I really don't have a HBS anywhere near here in the boonies of SW Colorado. The closest on is actually in New Mexico. So, most of our supply shopping is (unfortunately) done online. I wish there was a local biz to support out here! I typically go through Adventures in Homebrewing though.

Back