Fermenter Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcj2

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this on but I am a proud owner of a newly constructed kegerator and have two kegs that are able to fit in it now but I want advice give me reasons why and why i shouldn't ferment in a keg. Also is a temperature controller necessary for lagering.

Fermenting in kegs is pretty common. Here's a video on the AHA website that might get you started.

A lot of people ferment in kegs. Golddiggie does exclusively. It's closed-pressure, no exposure to air for oxidation or infection finding it's way in, etc. However the size of keg matters in terms of how much beer you can ferment in it, obviously. A lot of people cut the dip-tube a bit so they can just transfer under pressure and not disturb the yeast cake on the bottom, getting mostly clear beer without even opening the fermenter. You can also run it through a plate filter while racking from one keg to another.

Yeah I think this will be what im doing here within the next few weeks. Once i buy a temperature controller so I can do a lager for my first keg fermenting. Anyone have recommendations on what kind of temperature controller to buy?

Yeah I think this will be what im doing here within the next few weeks. Once i buy a temperature controller so I can do a lager for my first keg fermenting. Anyone have recommendations on what kind of temperature controller to buy?

For the price, a 110v STC-1000 is pretty easy to put together. For ease, one of the johnson controllers is plug-n-play.

And i'm assuming that the digital one is much easier to control versus the analog?

Well, it's like dialing in a radio station on analog vs. digital. I don't have experience with either, but digital is always easier and sometimes has temp correction abilities.

Back