Fermenter immersion coils and icewater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattpaneth

Reaction score
Hey guys, question about immersion chiller coils and how to cool wort with them. I have a Delta fermenter and the cooling coil, but no glycol chiller yet. How effective have people found these fermenter coils to be with a pump and ice water in a cooler, changed out once a day or so? I'd like to get wort down to 45F with ice water bt feel this is too much work for ice water without glycol. Anyone found these coils to be efficient enough? The ambient in my basement is 62 so I'm looking for a ~20 degree drop maintaining over a cold crash 24hr span

Hey Matt I may be wrong but I think you would be constantly fighting the temp . Its not the glycol that helps keep cold its a chiller.

I have a diy chiller that works great . When you drop the temp of your fv the pump kicks on and pushes that cooling liquid through the coils, then back to the reservoir. The liquid in the reservoir temp increases . That causes the chiller to kick on to chill back down to set temp.

Without that chiller its gonna be battle. Is it possible, maybe . Its gonna take a lot of attention. I think if it was practical we'd see a lot of brewers doing it.

Maybe a diy chiller is something you may be interested in. I have about 300 invested in mine.

Back