Fermenter choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Hi all - another question to post...

I have been looking at all the variations in fermentation equipment. There is a lot of it out there. Of course, every one says how good they are. Hard to know for sure what to pick

Being in manufacturing, I like to reduce excess movement, handling, and processing. All of this just creates chances to mess things up. The bucket/carboy system seems wasteful and too many chances for contamination.

I am looking to limit my equipment to as few as pieces as possible and save space in my basement. The conical fermenters with bottling/sampling ports are really getting my attention.

Does anyone use these pieces of equipment? I really have my eye on one in particular - the Minibrew conical 8 gallon fermenter. It seems to have the right size, configuration and quality I want. At this point, it seems to be a proper match. I am curious if anyone has used this system.

Are there other options? Things to watch for? What do you think?

The minibrew looks nice but I could buy 10 Better Bottles (or the equivalent) for that price. Plus you need to think about temperature control. I would have to build a new fermentation chamber because of the height of the conical.

I went with the SS Brewtech's Brew Bucket Fermenter because of the compact size which will fit in a firm chamber (aka my fridge build)

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/

Started looking that way after your post - they also have a temperature control unit. The system is cheaper, more compact and can be modified for temperature control. I am starting to lean that way. Thanks for pointing this one out.

One of teh regular posters on the BIAB section of all grain does his mash in the boil kettle, then chills it and does the ferment in the same kettle. Since you need a boil kettle anyway, this reduces your equipment footprint to about the minimum.

I'm with brewbama on this one. If you have the clams for it, go stainless. The plastic conicals look cheap and difficult to sanitize. Plus if you ended up using them for a wild ale / sour, you could risk future contamination.

NO HALF MEASURES.

brba-312.jpg

One of teh regular posters on the BIAB section of all grain does his mash in the boil kettle, then chills it and does the ferment in the same kettle. Since you need a boil kettle anyway, this reduces your equipment footprint to about the minimum.

Absolutely brilliant!

How well does it work?

Absolutely brilliant!

How well does it work?

So by going this route you cannot brew until the last one is bottled or kegged. For me that would be 2 week minimum and 3-4 week average and you cannot have 2 batches fermenting at the same time. (Unless you have other fermenters and plan ahead and transfer one before you start a ferment in the BK)

So by going this route you cannot brew until the last one is bottled or kegged. For me that would be 2 week minimum and 3-4 week average and you cannot have 2 batches fermenting at the same time. (Unless you have other fermenters and plan ahead and transfer one before you start a ferment in the BK)

The guy who reported doing it all in the kettle had several kettles so it didn't hinder his brewing at all but it sure could if you only had one kettle but maybe no more than if you had only one fermenter bucket. If you had only one of each you could brew 2 batches but then you would be at a standstill until the second one finished.

The guy who reported doing it all in the kettle had several kettles so it didn't hinder his brewing at all but it sure could if you only had one kettle but maybe no more than if you had only one fermenter bucket. If you had only one of each you could brew 2 batches but then you would be at a standstill until the second one finished.

I would love to ferment in stainless steel fermenters. Conicals or all in one type. But that is so far out of my budget that.......

empty sanke kegs make excellent fermenters although I have now moved into 60 litre Speidels and haven't looked back

Back