Fermenter bucket stinks like last brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
So I am ready to bottle my 1st batch after 7 days in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I noticed that the primary fermenter bucket still smells very strongly of the last brew.

Will this have any effect on my next batch? I am worried becuase if I take a gatorade bottle and empty it and fill it with water, I can still taste a little bit of gatorade in the water.

How do you remove the smell if at all possible?

Yes it will. It means you probably haven't cleaned it sufficiently.

Oxyclean will clean and remove odours. It then needs sanitising and possibly rinsing dependant on what you use.
Bleach will also remove smells.

The only time I use bleach around the brewery is to de-stink & de-stain buckets. Blackberry cider is a real mess.

cwb124 said:
How do you remove the smell if at all possible?

Fill it to the rim with hot water and a cup of Oxiclean Free and let it sit overnight. In the morning, dump it out and rinse with hot water. It should not smell at all then.

Yeah, if you bleach bomb it and rinse it for about 10 minutes more than you think you should, you'll probably be fine.

My buckets always stink, one step, oxyclean, whatever, they still stink, never a bad batch in 2 years so they must be clean despite the smell.

Ok well, I had a solution of about 15 gallons of bleach/water that I used last night to soak my bottles, so I dumped around 4.5 gallons into the smelly bucket and will let it sit overnight. It's cold water, but I think it'll be ok. I'll rinse with hot water tomorrow before I begin my Oktoberfest brew.

It's doesn't "stink" but has a prett strong smell if you really put your head in the bucket.

I say again: "Stinks???" My primary has a wonderful beery smell that never quite goes away and that brings memories of great batches past and plans for more in the future. If it stinks, you may have a problem with sanitizing.

Back