fermenter bucket or glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborahjm

Reaction score
Is there a reason to use a plastic 6 gallon fermenter bucket over a 6 gallon glass carboy for primary fermentation?
The reasons I know of so far are the weight of the full container, and that it is easier to clean the wide mouth bucket compared to the glass carboy.
Oh and cost.
Are there other reasons? I would prefer to use glass rather than plastic, so far, even taking the above into account, though I have not done either yet. ( and may well change my mind when I have finished my first large batch!)
Thanks

For primary - it doesn't matter.

WHen I do melomels, I always use a bucket because I have no want to try and clean fruit sludgies out of a carboy.

never thought of that. but i chill the wort to pitch temp with an immersion chiller before filling them up...good point though.

I like a bucket for primary. That way, it's easier to stir when needed, and to add the additions without foaming up. It's also the only way to be able to remove fruit, or to add fruit, to a primary. After primary, I use a carboy topped up to as close to the bung as possible.

For beers, I use a glass carboy.
For meads, ciders, and wines I use a plastic bucket for easy stirring, adding things, etc.
Either one will work, plastic is much cheaper than glass.

I prefer buckets because it's easier to add fruit to and get fruit out off. It's also easier to mix in oxygen and nutrients and I don't worry fear mead gyser as much.

Back