Fermenter bubbling slowed after several days. Picking back up now several days after that. Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a screwup on brewday that I knew could lead to an infection. Now, after fermenting for 9 days, my bubbling is picking back up after having dropped off several days ago. I'm bubbling about once every 8 seconds now. I'm fermenting in a stainless 1/4 keg so can't really view it well. I've never had an infected batch, and have never had bubbling pick back up. What else could this be?

Edit, I did just go look into it and nothing really jumped out at me. The smell was not bad. Definitely smelled the hops I added a few days ago. I've never had a dry hop addition (2 oz) stimulate fermentation, although I did agitate the fermenter slightly yesterday. Agitation can lead to an short increase in bubbling, but never extending into the next day. I had a very vigorous ferment the 1st few days (OG 1.062). I can't imagine what's left to consume.

Last edited:
Actually, hops contain their own natural enzymes and can actually cause further fermentation when dry hopping. It's referred to as 'hop creep'

https://www.brewersassociation.org/educational-publications/hop-creep-technical-brief/
There is evidence that hops have amylolytic enzymes in or on them that biochemically modify beer during dry-hopping, leading to degradation of long-chain, unfermentable dextrins into fermentable sugars. This increase in fermentable sugars can, in the presence of yeast, give rise to a slow secondary fermentation, which is referred to as ‘hop creep.’ Hop creep requires three conditions for it to appear: (1) some amount of unfermentable real extract in the wort or beer prior to dry-hopping; (2) live yeast in suspension; and (3) the addition of hops to fermenting or fermented beer. The main consequences of hop creep result in beer being out of specification in terms of alcohol, diacetyl and CO2 (Table 1). It is particularly concerning when it occurs post-packaging because of the consumer safety risk related to package over-pressurization. Methods for controlling hop creep, to either accentuate or reduce it, involve manipulating wort composition, yeast strain selection and suspended cell concentration during dry-hopping, and dry-hop form, timing, contact time and temperature.

Thanks, Brettomon. I sure hope that's it. I did have a strike temperature higher than I was targeting, so I could have would had more unfermentables initially.

One question lingers in my mind, and that's whether any infection can result in outgassing that could show up like this.

Back