Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have several friends who got me into fermenting hot peppers and creating various hot sauces. @Braufessor is mostly responsible, but so are @lschiavo and @toast26.

Hot peppers are hard to come by here in the UP, as we don't have much of a growing season for it, but my son-in-law gave me quite a few nice ones and I bought a few.

One of the small things I've learned is to stick with one color family. If you mix red, orange, and green peppers, you will get a brown hot sauce.

The other thing I've now come to know is that straight pepper sauce is HOT. I mean, way way too hot.

This one is a good example of being way too hot. I mixed carrots with it, as well as onions and garlic, but I packed the jar tightly (like I was making sauerkraut or kimchi) and had little brine to blend it with, and even diluting it later and adding vinegar, it is WAY too hot to enjoy.

IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

When we made one before our HomebrewCon seminar to serve, we used a LOT more brine and used some peppers and a bit of pineapple, and that one was awesome. I wanted something hotter, so went way overboard this time!

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One thought if you have some "way too hot" hot sauce...... this is a good website, with lots of different hot sauce recipes. You could look through some of these, and find some that look interesting to you. Basically mix up the base sauce ingredients (with none of the hot peppers) and then use your "too hot" sauce and add a bit at a time to get the sauce to the heat you want. One sauce that I really liked last year was the Datil pepper sauce - kind of a ketchup type sauce. But, you might find some inspiration here for a base sauce that you want to try and then just use your sauce that you already have for the "heat."
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/

Oh - and remember - you can always add more heat, but you can't take it out:)

Kickass

Reaction score
@Cyclman, while waiting for Yoop, I’ll share a recipe I like and actually bottled today.

Normally I don’t use Carolina Reapers but I was given 1/2 oz of fresh off the plant so I added them.

1 lb red Fresno chilies
1/2oz CR’s
1/4 of a yellow onion
4-6 cloves garlic
6oz red wine vinegar

Ferment chilies in salt brine for 3-4 weeks. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Add fermented chilies (discarding most of the brine) and vinegar then simmer real low for 5 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender and bottle.

Reaction score
@Cyclman, while waiting for Yoop, I’ll share a recipe I like and actually bottled today.

Normally I don’t use Carolina Reapers but I was given 1/2 oz of fresh off the plant so I added them.

1 lb red Fresno chilies
1/2oz CR’s
1/4 of a yellow onion
4-6 cloves garlic
6oz red wine vinegar

Ferment chilies in salt brine for 3-4 weeks. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Add fermented chilies (discarding most of the brine) and vinegar then simmer real low for 5 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender and bottle.
Sounds great!

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
been getting into the sauce myself lately... below are versions 3 and 4, both based on mango + habanero. i really like having chunks in my sauce (also a good way to avoid making a brown sauce if you're mixing different colors: pull the odd-color out, blend everything else until liquified, chop up the odd-colored item fairly finely then add to blended base).

hotsauce3+4.jpg hotsauce3pre.jpg hotsauce4pre.jpg