fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
So my fermentation chamber is full with a watermelon wheat 2 weeks in and an Octoberfast thats 1 week. I wanted to do a pumpkin ale this weekend but I'm worried about off flavors if I take one of them or leave the pumpkin out as the coolest part of my house is 70-72. What do you guys think?

I agree with kh54s10, take the Watermelon Wheat out and let it sit in the coolest part of your house. This will encourage the yeast to finish off any bi-products, etc. prior to bottling. The most critical time for Ale yeast is during the exothermic stage (1st 3-4 days) when they are producing heat.

I cycle batches all the time thru my fermentation chamber like this. This way I can have several fermenters in the aging process waiting to be bottled.

Double check to make sure your watermelon wheat is close to FG, it should be. Then go ahead and bottle and make your pumpkin ale to start a nice pipeline.

The thing is I haven't added the watermelon juice yet which restarts the fermentaion so I was bit concerned about that. It only takes a day or two for the yeast to eat the sugar in the juice but still.

Back