Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr2661

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of American Light using dry yeast that was provided.

This was my first time using dry yeast. I always use liquid yeast and it takes off quick.

I have not seen any signs of fermentation taking place.

i have read all posts about this.

My question:

i brewed this on friday and its tuesday

1) should i take a hydrometer reading or what till 7 days are up

2)if fermentation is stuck what are my options.

Take a hydrometer reading tonight. It's the only way to really tell if fermentation has started.

Don't worry about question 2 until you've made more hydrometer readings and have actually determined that your fermentation is stuck (it probably isn't).

-Steve

i took a hydrometer reading.

7-17-09 was 1.040
7-21-09 was 1.014
Final gravity is between 1.007 and 1.010

This is only my foruth batch and first time using dry yeast.

Also i used the trick of putting the bucket in a oil drip pan with a t-shirt around it with only a few inches of water. My garage is 74 and the bucket temp says 68, not bad.

My questions:

1) When i opened the lid i saw the yeast just sitting there like it did not disslove. Should be fine because of hydromter reading, right.

i appreciate how fast people respond on this forum. Hopefully i can get more batches under my belt and i can help with peoples questions.

Sounds like you are nearing the end of fermentation.

As for the yeast you saw, it's hard to say without a picture, but generally I see patches of yeast on top of my beer for a few days after the foam has subsided. It falls down eventually. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

As I'm sure you've seen on the forum, hydrometer readings are the only real way to judge the progress of fermentation and when it's done. Fermentations from one batch to the next may differ, so you shouldn't go by visual clues alone.

I'm glad HBT has been helpful for you!

-Steve

Back